Part 58: Paperwork

Part 58: Paperwork

Year: 1990

Time: 11:09am

Location: Concealed Gate Room, "Sydney's Tower", Sydney CBD, NSW, Australia.

Level: 11th Floor

I transported all of us using my Gyro-linium device all the way to Sydney's Tower, a few days away from when we last went there.

Instead of the usual greeting by some guards and a security shake down, we were suddenly surrounded by a wall of bulletproof barriers and a group of armed uniformed security personnel with some heavy arms.

"Whoa, friendly FRIENDLY!" I yelled while throwing my hands up.

"Check your targets," came a familiar female voice. It was Sydney. The people around her didn't point their weapons at me and Kate, but kept their weapons trained on Kepler and Deune.

"Kepler and Deune, the Dicer Duo. What business do you have here?" she asked, keeping her eyes trained on Deune.

Kate let go of my hand and stood in front of Deune and waved her hands at her sides.

"Sydney, they are friends now, please help them."

Sydney stifled a laugh at the strange change in circumstances.

"Are they in the same trouble as other people are now in?"

"Yes," Kate answered, thinking of the Pycretian swarm and the person that Kepler knew that was presumed dead.

"Okay, stand down men," Sydney raised her hand and the many people lowered their guns from Deune and Kepler.

"Sorry about that. We have been under attack by people trying to gate into our building. We have force-locked the entire building except for this gate room, and we have fought off wave after wave of soldiers from the outside, as well as assassins and suicide bombers who had been sent by The Illuminati through the gate. They are persistent." Sydney holstered her gun and extended a hand of greeting to Deune.

"My name is Sydney. I run this place."

Deune was initially angered by all the guns in his face, and the feeling of inadequacy, but once they were gone he took a breath and engaged in a decent conversation about who he and Kepler were.

It was only then that I was able to take a look at the state of the place.

Dark patches of ash were evidence of explosions that have been sealed away by the force fields created by the Q2 Gates. They pull matter in and out of places, so explosions and their particulate are drawn into the reaction areas when on. I guess Sydney keeps them running in case her teams need to return, but that also means that she is vunerable to attack. I bet she knows this and is just baiting them in.

Her guard teams didn't seem to be tired out. The guys around the gate weren't tired or shifty. They seemed to be able to handle work like this as if it was as easy as playing a game. Okay, Laser Skirmish is challenging and exhausting, but these guys look like they could keep running without tiring out.

The floors were a bit dirty from the scuffles but Sydney is a person who prefers cleaning after the recent firefights, so she has people do the mop up jobs while the defense teams are around. They have guns too of course so an extra pair of eyes and guns is useful as a secondary line.

Martin spotted a bug and flew up to get at it. A few men trained their lasers on Martin as a joke, but I got annoyed but didn't voice it out. It looked like Kate was also keeping in a motherly fear for Martin.