Part 28: Kate Wanted To

Year: 1990

Time: 4:02pm

Location: "Sydney's Tower", Sydney CBD, NSW, Australia.

Level: 72nd Floor

We had arrived back in our room in what I called "Sydney's Tower". Jed had left us once we got to our room.

"I really love the view here." Kate said to me as she looked out through the glass panes in our room.

"Yes, it is great here. But let's not overstay our welcome. Remember, people work here. We are guests here and only came here under protection from a threat. We can ask to leave but it will not be as safe." I patted Kate on the shoulder, explaining our situation.

Kate sat down and thought about this for a moment. She looked up at me and asked,

"Alex, this is the safest place we know for now. If we leave... where... oh, or maybe when, do we go?"

"That is a good idea. We can go to another time. Hmm," I looked up at her then continued "Kate, when I first travelled through time I changed my body and age to disguise myself. I don't want to now that you know me as I am now, plus you can't change your face like I can so we will stay the same when we get there. So we will have to stay hidden. That'll be hard to sort out."

I stood up and walked towards he window. Kate stood next to me.

"I don't know how they found me this time, but there is a chance they may find out that we have left this decade. If that happens... I will do my best to keep you safe if we meet them again."

Kate took my hand and held it between hers.

"Thank you, Alex. This new world you have shown me is full of new things both amazing an dangerous, but I know I'll be safe when I'm with you. But..." She took one hand off mine and pointed to the staff I had behind me back. "I don't want to be a burden or helpless. I want to defend myself by your side. Can you teach me or at least share with me something that I can use?"

I remembered the Frozen CO2 Shard pistol that I had taken with me at the start of my journey.

I took it out from compressed storage in a compartment of the Gyro-linium device and held it out to her.

Her eyes widened. She had not seen a gun up close, and especially not one like this before.

It was shaped like a normal handgun but was based around the Dardic Gun concept, but it didn't have 'trouns' as cartridge rounds.

Kate tentatively reached a hand to the gun, but as she touched it she pulled away.

"It's warm. Aren't guns cold until they are used?"

"This gun must be kept warm because what it fires is cold."

Kate was confused but managed to put some of the facts to mind: hot gun, cold bullets.

She once again reached for it as I held it out. The moment she touched the gun I held her hand down onto it and told her,

"Kate, I will teach you how to use this, but remember that this will hurt people more than just kill them. Old guns shot and killed people. This gun is for intimidation and suffering. While I used to work in a lab I was curious about guns and so I know what this is and how it works. I tested one once. But newer used this one. I like the design but not what it does. Despite that I know you will respect this in the same way I do."

I released Kate's hand and let her take the Shard gun from my hand.

At first she held it in the palm of her hand and examined it.