Part 51: A 'lift' that isn't

Year: 2005

Time: 2:41pm

Location: Florida, America

Level: Ground

Tim greeted the three of us as we approached him. He was holding a bottle of ginger ale and a small green book that said something about 'Jokes for the bog'.

"Okay, now you two fit more into this era. Although, I still think that you should put that hat away, Alex."

"Ah, yes. I will defer to your judgement on his one." I replied, taking my brown cowboy hat off and storing it.

I didn't feel like taking it off, but considering the change in wardrobe was necessary I felt it was a good idea.

"I feel new too," Kate added, checking her own reflection in a glass window pane next to her. The man on the other side of the window seemed to enjoy it too, which I soon noticed and gently pulled Kate away from him. Martin protectively shook his beak at the man.

Yes to be honest, I felt like sticking my tongue out at him... just because... but I didn't. I felt like a responsible boyfriend when I guided Kate away. Heh, young 'at heart'.

"Right, so where to, oh wise one?"

I chuckled then answered Tim,

"We will take a long bus ride to Daytona, Florida where they have display homes which feature the vacuum elevator. I would like to go there."

Kate clutched my arm,

"Ooh, I'd love to see what these 'display homes' are like. I've seen 'Sydney's Tower' but now I want to see what modern common homes look like in your time."

She was like a little girl wanting to see the giraffe at a zoo.

"Would you have some place that you would like to see in this year, Tim?" I asked.

"Well, I don't really want to see much because I actually grew up here. So I don't really feel a drive to see anything."

"Okay, I see. Well I hope you don't mind following us around like this,"

"Don't worry. It's my job. Plus nothing really happened in the era and area I was patrolling anyway... well apart from you two, of course. I would like to thank you for making my assignment here interesting. Being a monitor can be really boring sometimes when you are in remote area, even if you are surrounded by tourists."

Kate wrapped an arm around him as a friendly gesture.

"Glad of you to join us."

Even I had to reassess that statement but the thought was correct, so I didn't correct her. Tim got it and smiled. Martin walked off Kate's shoulder and sat on Tim's head, accepting him.

"Ahaha, Martin likes you," She laughed. "Okay, that's enough now, come back here Martin."

Martin returned and Kate patted his head, "Good boy."

"You domesticated a toucan from The Flood? Friendly, ain't he?"

"Actually we haven't. Maybe it's because people didn't interact with toucans a lot at that time," I added, crumbling a nut bar in my hand and feeding Martin. Martin happily picked up chunks to juggle into its mouth.

We walked across the street to the opposite direction of the bus route we arrived on and caught a bus. My console led us all the way straight to where the Display Homes were. We could have easily just jumped there but Tim suggested we take local transport. That was okay with me.