Part 12: Where Life Starts

I decided to cheer up Kate by bringing her to see something amazing:

New life.

I found Kate sitting attop our favourite hill, looking dejectedly at the clouds as they passed overhead.

"Kate, how are you feeling?"

"I little better. But it still hurts to know that my parents are gone,"

"Shhh, shush," I stopped her from crying by gently patting shoulder. She had been crying a while here and I could see some telltale streaks on her face. I wiped them off with my hand.

"Kate," I began, "Many things have been taken care of here... Would you be willing to leave now so as to find a fresh start in a new place with me?"

Kate, looked me with a mixture of acceptance and doubt in her eyes.

"This place...this time is my home, but now my parents are not here...I don't have a home left to go to."

"Kate, your Father and Mother asked me to take good care of you: emotionally and materially. So I want to also make sure you do not stay in this state of hurt. I feel it is best if we move on together to a new place. Yes, it is time for you to let go of this world and travel with me."

Kate looked out over the bustling city and all the people we both knew.

I gently took her chin and turned her to face me, "Let go, Kate... holding onto this time only hurts more," I whispered.

Kate closed her eyes and nodded.

"Okay... Let's go somewhere new."

We went down from our hill and took a horse and carriage ride home. Jackob drove us into town where we thanked him and bid him farewell and then met with many of our friends and told them that we were going on a trip.

The storeman agreed with me that it would be best for us both to recover by going on a trip, but I had to explain that we weren't coming back. He was sad but he understood our decision. He thanked me for my help and hard work at his shop, then wished me good luck.

Kate and I headed back to Miss Crawford's home and packed what things we could into bags. These bags I easily stored in a compartment in the Gyro-linium device where the Que'nesians provided a handy way to store large items due to matter-compression with the help of Einstein's Unified Field Theory and their own technology.

One additional feature that the Que'nesians had added to the controls of the Gyro-linium device was a way to manually extend the field of effect of the wormhole to encompass an area around myself. That meant that stationary objects could be brought with me along with a small group of people. They also installed an invisibility cloak toggle on it because, as one rather sharp-thinking Que'nesian said, "You are startled and curious about what you see from us as new. Think of how your past will react when they see these actuators and planetary gears. Best to hide this from common view."

I decided to show Miss Crawford the method that we were leaving in, but didn't tell her everything about it.

She was very much curious and amused.

"I had a feeling you were a clever man, but didn't know you knew how to travel by any way other than foot. Go on, show me show me."

Her curiosity made me think she was feeling like a curious young child again.

I wrapped my arm around Kate and configured the wrist-mounted controls for my Gyro-linium device. The device revealed itself and Edna gasped in amazement at something only Kate and I have seen before in this time.