Part 44: You, Me and Martin

Year: 1990

Time: 11:09am

Location: Concealed Gate Room, "Sydney's Tower", Sydney CBD, NSW, Australia.

Level: 11th Floor

We arrived at the gate room that we had left. It seemed like it was just yesterday but we knew that some time had changed some things because we didn't decide to return on the same time.

Jed had told us I keep our IDs for when we ever needed to come back here and that advice came in very handy when a pair of guards came in.

"We've been here before, we are Alex and Kate. We seek council with Sydney and Jed." I said quickly raising my hands up and motioning Kate to do the same.

"I will have to verify your identities, please follow us to the security checking area. Relax, you don't need to put your hands in the air. Haha, and tell your bird that he can put his hands down too."

Martin had copied us and was holding his wings and beak in the air.

We relaxed and laughed.

"Good, Martin," Kate smiled, patting his head.

Kate and I followed the guards to an area that Jed waved us through on the way to this chamber. This time we had to stop.

A middle-aged guy at the desk, wearing a black beret and a green Scottish set of attire, recognised us and smiled, "Ah, I recognise that hat and that lady's face anywhere. It's nice to see you both. Ah, I am afraid I must insist on our mandatory quarantine as well as physical checkups because coming through a Q2 Jump doesn't mean you are clean and healthy."

We agreed to the health check and we had I go to separate rooms for that. I honestly felt that this place was safe but I did feel worried for Kate because she wasn't within arms reach.

Maybe it's part of me ring overly protective of her now...but I finished my checkup early and I...sat outside her checkup room jut to be sure.

I didn't go to peek.

I just sat outside waiting for her.

Not thinking of what went on in there, but just guarding the door.

Keeping watch for anything going in or out.

When Kate and the attendant lady that performed the checkup with her finished and came out, I looked up I her and tugged at the edge of her skirt.

It startled her of course but as soon as she saw it was me she understood why I was there and smiled to me.

"Are you okay?" I said, being genuinely caring.

Kate smiled as simply nodded. I didn't need a defined answer. That was enough.

We headed through to a counter where we showed our IDs that were given to us earlier. They were still valid but needed to be renewed. So once we had been confirmed as IFIs (Identified Friendly Individuals) and Martin had been calmed down after being thoroughly cleaned, we all headed straight up to Sydney's office.

We met up with Martin on the way. He was giving the guys at the scanner a some trouble.

"Ah, how nice to see you again, and it seems you have brought along someone new." Sydney smiled to us and waved to the bird, maybe out of courtesy. I'm not brave enough to say that she was more than playing silly.

"Ah yes, we picked him up during a recent transit from a short time in The Flood." I replied, wondering if she'd believe it.

The puma in the corner growled at the black pair of wings on my shoulder. Martin returned a squawk.