Part 7: The Plans of Others

Kate and I were enjoying ourselves wonderfully. Despite this, I always kept in mind that there were people pursuing me, and didn't doubt for a second that they could find me here. No matter when or where 'here' is.

In fact, in a relative sense, at the same moment people in my time were scheming and plotting...

Year: 2029

Time: 11:09am

Location: Megacatamaran IV, Pier 4 Dock, New York, America

Level: Sea level

"The new momentum dampeners have really reduced the recoil from these Jackhammer arms from ReFlexion Corp," said a tall muscly-figure, checking his biceps. They weren't flesh and muscle. They were silicon and Chobum plates set like an alligator's scales. The same type of Chobum armour reserved for tanks. The muscles were hydraulic fibres all held together by surface tension and multi-grade silicon-based slurry that is magnetically tensioned to respond to the person's system.

 >   New developments in cybernetic enhancements for domestic and military use have led to a huge roll out of overpowered augmented limbs. Luckily the governments all agreed to clamp down on 'over-export of potentially destabilising elements in society', and one man said "We don't want another 'Human Revolution'"    <

"I can punch right through a car! This is worth all the people I had to kill to get these rare parts. It's even worth visiting -that- doctor to slice me open before getting me linked with all the required equipment and enhancements the boss asked."

"I know what you mean, Deune," replied a sleek cream-haired woman, examining her hands under a powerful lamp. They were reinforced hollow Tri-Fibrin alloy and the fingertips were replaced by retractible diamond-tipped blades.

"I miss being able to feel things with my own hands, but considering how much we will get paid for this job... this'll get me loads of Bacardi to drink haha!"

Suddenly the door to their lair opened and a man in a blue suit and red-and-white shirt entered.

"Hey, it's the Dicer Duo, Deune and Kepler scissor-hands-"

Deune, who was sipping a beer, coughed up a bit and burst out laughing.

"Darn it, Razza! I thought I told you to can it with the jokes." Kepler snapped, slamming a fist of blades onto a table.

"Ah, but aggression brings out the fire in your eyes, sweetie," Razza grinned, walking up and touching Kepler's chin.

Kepler growled and wrapped her sharp fingers around Razza's arm, itching to slice it off, and glared at Razza. He did give them jobs to do but he was really getting to her nerves.

Deune put a hand on her shoulder and waited for her to calm down. Kepler let go.

Razza knew of the violence and sheer danger that his bounty hunters were capable of, so he knew not to push things too far. He did, however also knew how to have fun even at the edge of danger. He particularly loved annoying Kepler. He enjoyed teasing her just to see her give him a snake-eyes look.

"Our target is Alexander Romeo Julian," Razza said, rubbing his arm and bringing out a data cube that he threw on a large table nearby.

The table lit up from where the cube bounced, then snakes of light streaked from different sides and angles of the cube across the table.

Initially cold and quiet, the table emitted a slight hum, and the various groups and lines of metres and screens lit up on the side before the surface of the table itself glowed and showed a single flag-like emblem then disappeared. It was their calling card. Razza added it as a 'nice touch to our lair'.