Chapter 41

The next day we held a funeral service for Dale. I really don't think I can handle any more of these. We've lost so many people since the world turned to shit. Rick spoke at the service.

"Dale could get under your skin. He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it at one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us. The truth, who we really are. In the end he was talking about us losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety, our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale."

His speech was very moving. Almost everyone was crying, myself included. Dale was a good man. We didn't always agree on things, but I had more respect for him than I have for most people. Because of the incident with Dale, Hershel has decided to let us all move into his house. None of us have a lot of stuff, but there's fifteen of us total.

"Gonna be tight, 15 people in one house." Rick told Hershel.

"Don't worry about that." Hershel assured him. "With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up..."

"With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell." Maggie finished for him.

"She's right. We should have moved you in a long time ago." Hershel agreed.

"All right, let's move the vehicles near each one of the doors facing out towards the road." Rick ordered. "We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sightlines to both sides of the property."

I grabbed my stuff and headed into the house with it. I set it down in a corner in the living room, not really sure what to do with it. As I was coming back out Daryl waved me over.

"Me and T-Dog are gonna pulling double duty on watch. And I'm going with Rick to turn Randall loose soon." He said, not looking thrilled.

"Are you sure you're up for that?"

"Anything to keep you safe."

"You are such a good man Daryl."

"I try." He said, nodding.

"I'm gonna get your stuff and put it in the corner with mine. Be careful out there."

"I will." He assured me.

I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and went to get his bag.

When I was done I went out on the front porch looking for Daryl. Daryl wasn't there, but Rick was. Shane was walking towards his car. I have a feeling they just had an argument.

"Have you seen Daryl?" I asked Rick.

"He said he had to take a leak." Rick answered.

"Oh, okay. Thanks." I said, turning to go back into the house.

"Hey, Jess?"

"Yeah?" I asked turning back around.

"Could you tell Daryl something for me?"

"Uh, sure. What is it?"

"Yesterday, Carl took his pistol. He wanted to go out in the woods by himself and shoot walkers. I'm going to let Carl keep the pistol. He needs to learn to protect himself. I figured it'd sound a lot better coming from you."

"Yeah. I'll tell him later. But he's still not gonna be happy about it."

"I know. I'll get him another pistol.

I nodded my head and went off to see what work I could help out with.

I ended up helping board up the downstairs windows. We're turning the house into a mini fortress. When I headed to Hershel's shed for more boards I saw Daryl and Rick getting stuff ready to take Randall out. I changed directions and walked to the truck instead.

"You weren't gonna leave without saying goodbye, were you?" I asked Daryl, smiling.

"Well I saw you were busy."

"Thank you for the consideration but I would like to tell you bye before you leave."

He was just about to respond before T-Dog came running over.

"Randall's gone!" He shouted, out of breath.

"What?" Daryl and I asked at the same time.

"Come on!" T-Dog yelled motioning towards the barn.

Rick and Daryl took off at a run. I followed. Soon after we got there everyone was outside. Shane came running out of the woods with a busted nose and lip.

"Rick! Rick!" Shane shouted.

"What happened?" Lori asked him.

"He's armed! He's got my gun!' Shane yelled in response.

"Are you okay?" Carl asked when he seen Shane's face.

"I'm fine. Little bastard just snuck up on me. He clocked me in the face." Shane said, angrily.

"All right, Hershel, T-Dog, get everybody back in the house. Glenn, Daryl, come with us." Rick ordered, immediately jumping into action.

I watched the four of them walk into the woods before joining the others running into the house. When I got there, I stood at one of the windows and looked out between the boards, watching the tree line. Wanting , but not daring to voice my thoughts. Randall is smaller than I am. There's no way he could have jumped Shane. Shane could probably beat my ass with one hand tied behind his back. I have a feeling Randall's already dead.