Chapter 60

Daryl came running in so fast that he couldn't stop and slid into the wall.

"What is it? What's wrong?" He asked frantically.

"The baby. I think it's coming."

"Oh shit. Oh no." Daryl said before stepping out of the cell. "Hershel! Hershel!" He yelled.

A few minutes of agonizing pain later Hershel and Maggie came into my cell. Maggie helped me pull my pants and underwear down then Hershel did a quick cervical exam. Daryl was knelt down beside me gripping my hand tightly. I looked over at his face, tears were running down it.

"Jessica, I'm sorry, you're going to have to deliver this baby." Hershel said sadly.

"What? No. It's not time." I told him, hoping I'd wake up from this bad dream in a minute.

"Can't you do something to stop it?" Daryl asked him.

"If I had the right things, yes. But we're just not equipped to deal with this. If this had been a women's prison, then maybe. I'm sorry Jess." Hershel explained.

Another wave of pain hit causing me to grit my teeth so hard they might break.

"You're gonna have to push now, Jess." Maggie said calmly.

The pain in my abdomen was nothing compared to what was rising in my chest. Daryl put his hand on the side of my face and turned my head to face him.

"It's okay Jess. You can do this. You can do it. It's all going to be okay." He lied as he wiped the tears from my face. "Just look at me."

I took a deep breath and pushed as hard as I could. Hershel was saying encouraging things but I wasn't paying attention. I was trying not to have a breakdown and staring into Daryl's face. His features mirrored the same pain that I felt.

Two more pushes later my little Merle was out.

"It's a boy." Hershel announced.

I knew, from the tone of his voice that my baby didn't make it. My little boy didn't make it.

Hershel stood up, still holding the bundle in his arms. "Would you like to hold him?" He asked.

Daryl nodded and I held my arms out. He was so small. His skin was translucent, I could see all the veins underneath. Sobs shook me as I stared into his little face.

Daryl was crying too. He leaned over and pressed a kiss to the baby's forehead, and then to mine. He took the baby from me and held him in his arms for a moment before leaving the room.

Hershel came over and put a hand on my shoulder. "He's with his father now."He told me as he pulled me into a hug.

Maggie pulled a blanket up to my chest, then she hugged me after Hershel had let me go. They both left the room while I laid there and cried.

Daryl came back not long after they left. He laid down next to me and held me while I cried. I don't know what I would do without him here.

I feel like I just lost a part of myself. I never knew I could feel this empty inside.