Chapter 64

The next day started off normally, well normal for the apocalypse anyway. I woke up to Daryl sitting next to me on the bed, shaking my arm.

"Just wanted to let you know that I'm gonna be helping get rid of all the dead walkers that Rick and Carl took out last night." Daryl said.

"Okay. Thanks for letting me know." I replied.

"I didn't want you to wake up and think I went on another road trip." He said with a smile.

I returned his smile and sat up. "I appreciate that. I'm used to you not being here when I wake up though. Since you were letting me sleep 'til noon."

"You needed your rest." Daryl shrugged.

"I know. The baby... did you take care of it? I mean, so it wouldn't come back. If that's even possible."

"Carol did. I couldn't... I just couldn't do it." Daryl answered, looking away from me.

I nodded my head. "It's okay, Daryl. I couldn't have done it either." I paused for a moment, unsure of what to say next. "Thank you for being here for me. That wasn't your baby, you didn't have to help me."

"It's what Merle would have wanted. Besides, I wouldn't dump my best friend just because she got knocked up." Daryl said as he stood up.

"Thank you, Daryl. For everything."

Daryl didn't reply, he only nodded and walked out of my cell. I guess it got too emotional for him, typical Dixon.

I made the bed and cleaned up my cell. Not that it really matters much, but it's nice to see everything clean and organized. When I finished with my cell I started on Daryl's. He'll gripe about it later, but if he won't clean up someone should.

When I started hearing two hushed voices arguing, I stopped. One of them sounded like Daryl but I couldn't tell what they were saying. I wanted to get closer so I could hear what they were saying but I didn't dare move. Ten years ago I probably could have heard what they were saying. Christ I'm getting old.

I didn't leave the cell until after I heard their footsteps fading but then it was too late to find out what was going on. I'll just have to ask Daryl about it later.

An explosion that shook the entire prison nearly knocked me on my ass moments later. I grabbed my pistol and joined the others running outside to see what blew up. When I got to the fence with the others I saw six vehicles and a tank parked in the field past the fences we'd fixed. There were people standing around the vehicles and someone was standing on the tank. One of our guard towers was on fire. That must have been what exploded.

"Rick! Come down here! We need to talk!" A voice that I'd never heard, but somehow recognized immediately, yelled.

The Governor. He's come back. He is a dead man, tank or no tank.

"It's not up to me! There's a council now! They run this place!" Rick yelled back.

"Is Hershel on the council?!" The Governor asked, turning his head to the left.

I followed his gaze to a car. Someone reached in the backseat and Hershel stepped out, hands bound behind his back. I could hear Maggie gasp as her hand covered her mouth.

"What about Michonne?!" The Governor asked as Michonne was dragged out of the backseat of the same car. "She on the council, too?!"

"I don't make decisions anymore!" Rick yelled to the Governor.