Chapter 53

The next morning when I got up Rick, Carl, and Michonne were already gone. They're going on a weapons run. We'll need them when the Governor comes knocking. If he comes while they're gone, we're fucked. I went into the commons and got my share of breakfast. Daryl sat down next to me when I started eating.

"Morning Daryl." I told him between spoonfuls of cold oatmeal.

"You should talk to him." He replied.

I stopped, my spoon halfway to my mouth. I dropped it back down to my bowl. "Why?" I asked him.

"Because he's sorry." Daryl said.

"Yeah, sorry is right." I said, picking my spoon back up.

"You know what I mean. I'm serious Jess, you need to talk to him. And I don't mean that sarcastic insulting bullshit you've been throwing out." Daryl said sternly.

"Excuse me? He was gone for nearly a year. He could've been out looking for us but he was cuddling up to a psycho and killing people." I replied defensively.

"So? What's done is done. Being pissed off ain't going to help none. Time to move past it, I did." He said like it was no big deal.

"This is different Daryl." I told him, scraping the bottom of my bowl.

"How so?" He asked.

"Well, for starters, you weren't his girlfriend." I answered.

"No, but I'm his brother. And I'm tired of seeing him mopey." He said, getting up. "He's in the guard tower. I sent him out there to keep him away from Glenn. Don't need any of you getting into a fight. Go see him. Now." He said, taking my empty bowl.

I let out an angry sigh. "Yes mom." I said, heading for the door.

I went into the door at the bottom of the guard tower and climbed the cold metal ladder. I pushed open the trap door in the floor and pulled myself into the room at the top of the tower.

"Fancy meeting you here." Merle said, helping me stand up.

"Daryl wanted me to talk to you." I said.

Merle nodded and looked back out towards the road. He stepped out on the balcony so I followed. I sat down and scooted to the edge. I stuck my legs under the railing and let them hang over the edge. We settled into a silence that was both comfortable and awkward. We stayed that way until Merle spoke.

"I should have came back." He said, still looking out towards the road.

"I can't argue with that." I replied.

"But I'm glad I didn't." He said, still not looking at me.

"And why is that, exactly?"

"Well, while ya'll were on the run from walkers I was nice and comfy in Woodbury."

I looked at him shocked. "You haven't changed a bit have you?" I asked. I stood up. "Look at me."

"I'm glad I ended up in Woodbury. Got away from everyone."

I felt my fists curl up. I took a deep breath. He's trying to hurt me and it's working.

"You know, Woodbury wasn't all that bad. We had barbecues and walker fights. It was nice."

I'd had enough. I opened my mouth to speak but I ended up shouting instead. "Oh yeah?! Well while you were out having fun with that psycho Governor I was having some fun myself!"