Chapter 48

Rick and the woman stared at each other for what felt like forever. Hershel and Beth joined me on the hill, Carl ran ahead. The woman was wounded but she still took out a few walkers before she passed out. I ran from my spot on the hill to help them get her in. No way I'm leaving her for the walkers. Carl got the basket while Rick and I picked the woman up. She was heavier than she looked. We hurried into C block as fast as we could without rattling her too much.

"Carl, get a blanket." Rick ordered when we came in. "Beth, water and a towel. Jess, help me lay her down."

We all did as he asked and laid her down in the floor of the commons room.

"She's not coming in the cell blocks." Rick told us after we'd gotten her down on the floor. Rick took the water and poured some on her chest. Her eyes opened more and she started to move her arms. "It's all right. It's all right. Hey, hey, look at me. Look at me. Who are you?" Rick asked.

The woman didn't respond, she looked frantically around the room. Trying to find the nearest exit, I can't say that I blame her.

"Hey. Look. Hey." Rick repeated trying to get her to focus on him.

She reached for the samurai sword that she had used to take the walkers out earlier but Rick kicked it out of the way. I picked it up.

"We're not gonna hurt you, unless you try something stupid first, all right?" Rick assured her.

I heard Daryl's footsteps but didn't take my eyes off of the woman until Daryl spoke.

"Rick. Who the hell is this?" Daryl asked.

"You wanna tell us your name?" Rick asked the woman gently.

"Ya'll come on in here." Daryl said.

"Everything all right?" Rick asked, turning around.

"You're gonna wanna see this." Daryl told us.

"Go ahead." Rick said to us. "Carl, get the bag." Rick turned back to the woman and got her sword from me. "We'll keep this safe and sound. The doors are all locked. You'll be safe here. And we can treat that." Rick told her, pointing to the gunshot wound in her thigh.

"I didn't ask for your help." She said, glaring up at us.

"Doesn't matter. Can't let you leave." Rick told her as he was walking away.

I followed him into C block. Daryl locked the door behind us. Daryl lead us down the hall and to a cell. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw who was in there. Carol. She sat up and smiled at us weakly. She used the bunk bed to pull herself up and hugged Rick.

"Thank God." Rick said in relief.

When they broke away from their hug she hugged me and then Hershel.

"How?" Hershel asked her, astonished.

We were all astonished.

"Solitary." She answered with a smile.

"Poor thing fought her way into a cell. Must have passed out. Dehydrated." Daryl explained.

Beth stepped forward and Carol laid eyes on the baby. She turned to Rick and he shook his head, she immediately began crying.

"I'm sorry." She told Rick as she put her hands on his face.

She took the baby from Beth and held her. She didn't stop crying for a while.