Chapter 21: Mom's Friend.

JACK POV

It had been two weeks since my attack, and my muscles had finally stopped aching all over. I had been exaggerating a little while in-front of my Mom, Lia and any other girl I knew. It felt good for them to feel sorry for me, especially Lia, who kept offering to give me massages to sooth the aching. That, I didn't mind at all. I knew I should, considering it'll only hurt more when she gets married to Dan. Which will happen, because that's just my luck.

Lia had been staying at Carrie's for the past week, to which she claimed that Dan had flooded the flat. I wasn't entirely convinced, but when Dan and Phil had both tweeted about the state of the flat, I started to believe it. I texted Lia that I would be round in a few hours, as I had to make lunch and buy a few things for VidCon soon. As soon as I got to the kitchen I heard giggling and female chatter. I popped my head in, looking around curiously to see a lady with my mother. Mom smiled at me and waved me forward. 

"Jack, meet Helen, her car broke down so she's waiting here until the AA come help her. She's actually good friends with your Aunt Susan!"

I smiled at Helen, who beamed at me.

"Nice to meet you!" Helen said, then sipped on her tea. Mom turned her head to me as I got ingredients for my food. "And yes, I had no idea- we've been friends for years, but we haven't spoken recently! What a small world!"

"What are you doing today, Jack? Can you get Finn out of the house?" Mom's eyes pleaded with mine.

I rolled my eyes at her. "That's not going to happen, I'm seeing Lia today."

"Oh." My Mom pouted, then turned to Helen. "My boys are having girl troubles."

"Ah, I know all about those." Helen nodded. "Unrequited love?"

My Mom giggled, whispering something to her so I couldn't hear, and I jerked my head in their direction, unsure of how to react. Helen gave me a knowing look, so I knew they were talking about me. I sighed loudly, pretending like I had ignored it. 

"Jack?" My mom asked, clearing my thoughts as I was cooking. I looked up in surprise. I guess I did end up toning them out. 

"Yeah?"

"When's the last time you had a girlfriend?" My mom rested her chin on her hand, and Helen leaned forward in anticipation. I shrugged. It was like I were the entertainment of their afternoon.

"About a year, maybe two. I haven't really met the right girl."

"Who is this Lia girl then?" Helen grinned, and my Mom rolled her eyes at me.

"One of my best friends, she's with someone, anyway." I frowned, putting my meal in the oven and setting it to twenty minutes. Mom looked at Helen knowingly.

"I keep telling him he looks like hes in as much unrequited love as Finn is in, only he shows it less."

"Mom." I sighed. "I told you I'm not in love with her! I just don't have time for a girlfriend- I'm travelling so much, I have the website and my channel to run, nevermind all these charity events and more I have to attend. I just don't have time to have a girl in my life."

"You have Lia. You've never really had any other best girl friends." Mom pointed out, and I shrugged my shoulders again. I didn't like having a witness to my personal conversations with Mom, but Helen looked like she wouldn't judge me. If she knew my Aunt, I guess I shouldn't be worried.

 "I'm not going to do anything about it. I can't do that to Finn or Dan." I muttered, looking away.

Helen smiled at me. "That's very noble of you."

"Lia was right- she would definitely come in between me and Finn and nobody wants that to happen. But it's hard to find a girl when so many people know who you are. It's hard to trust them I guess. What their true agenda is."

"You'll find the right girl one day." My mom smiled at me. "I told Lia I wouldn't mind having her as a daughter in law!" She giggled with Helen, and my mouth fell open. 

"You did what? Mom!"

Mom raised her hands in peace. "I was only joking with her. She knows what she wants. By the way, don't forget I'm off for the week to see your Dad while he's gone, you'll be able to keep the house in check, right? I've packed my bags and I'm leaving in just over an hour."

I pouted slightly, but didn't reply to her besides a nod. I wasn't going to get down before I see Lia. Helen took another sip of her drink, and I looked up as I heard footsteps on the stairs, and a minute later my brother was in the kitchen. He looked a bit scruffy- he hadn't shaved, hadn't looked like he had brushed his hair, and he was wearing pajama bottoms and old shirt. He didn't look like he had had much sleep. Mom introduced him to Helen, to which he replied with a nod and quiet response.

"Nice to meet you." He muttered, grabbing a beer from the fridge. I raised an eyebrow at him, but didn't comment. He's done this for a while now.

We all let out a deep breath as Finn left to go back upstairs, and I gave Mom a look. 

"You see why I don't bring him places anymore?"

Ahh I hope you enjoyed that chapter! I wonder who Helen really is ;) not hinting or anything hahahaha

I have a new fanfiction so pelase check it out, like, comment and add to your libraries and reading lists! Have you followed me yet on here? :D I'm almost at 400 followers!

New chapter at 745 subscribers! :D so subscribe? :D www.youtube.com/mszoeishere