Chapter 40

It's back.

Rebecca stared at me in surprise.

"What?"

Jack groaned, putting his face in his hands in defeat. "Lia, we made a deal."

I folded my arms in defence. "I know but the deal was to trick my mother, not yours. This isn't fair to you." 

Rebecca's face was still confused. 

I sighed, before speaking up again, "I'm still with Dan, Rebecca.  My mother framed him with drugs so I'd break up with him, so when we found out she was trying to set me up with Jack... we figured we'd give her exactly what she wants, then force her to think that I'm better off with Dan."

Rebecca nodded slowly, before blurting out. "That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Couldn't you just get a restraining order?"

"She planted drugs in my boyfriend's pocket, I think she'd find her way around one of those."

Rebecca looked thankful at her son. "Goodness, I'm glad you aren't a cheater. But I am disappointed that you both fooled me into thinking you are in a relationship."

Jack looked endearingly at me. "I was just doing my bit. Lia deserves to be happy."

Rebecca sighed. "Did you want me to go along with your thing then? I can convince Helen that you two don't work. I don't think I can trust her for a second now if what you're telling me is true about the drugs. Oh no! She's dropped Emmy off!"

"Emmy will be fine, Mum. Helen's not going to hurt my sister. She wants to hurt Dan." Jack defended, although after a moment he glanced at me with an anxious look in his eyes, "Right, Lia?"

I shrugged, more relieved that we had Rebecca on our side too. We all turned to the door of the kitchen, to see Finn enter, a happy grin on his face.

"Hi guys, um...I was thinking about doing something new."

Jack looked at Rebecca with a wary expression, but then smiled at his twin. "And what's that, Finny?"

Finn pulled a pamphlet from behind him. "I was doing some research into a course in New York...I think it would be really good for me to try it."

Rebecca beamed at her son. "That sounds fantastic! I know you were disappointed you couldn't complete your course in Leeds."

Finn nodded excitedly. "So do you think I should do it? I mean, I'll have to book a flight to New York to check the University out, but..."

"Do it. I'll come with you when you go to see it. We can meet a few people, film here and there..." Jack enthused, jumping over and grabbing the pamphlet, taking a read of it. "Didn't they send over a prospectus? This doesn't really cover much..."

Finn grinned sheepishly. "Yeah, it's upstairs. I didn't want to look too eager when I told you all."

As Finn disappeared upstairs with Jack, Rebecca turned to me with a blank expression.

"We need to put Helen in line, honestly. I understand both you and Dan are concerned she won't ever stop, but maybe if she realises Jack isn't the one, she'll ease up on you and Dan."

"That's what we've been trying to do. Showing me and Jack don't work isn't cutting it...if only she could see Jack wasn't going to be there in the long run..."

Rebecca's eyes flickered to the stairs. "You know, Jack's been eager to do a lot of traveling and filming...maybe it's not a conflict that is the result of your break. Maybe Jack just...does what he's been wanting to do for a while. Fly the nest. I've heard him talk about all these places he wants to go. Finn's going to New York... It's just going to Emmy left."

I grinned. "Don't worry, Emmy's such a character, you won't notice Jack or Finn missing."

Rebecca laughed. "I hope so."

I ran upstairs, two at a time, realising I left my phone upstairs. I opened Jack's door and grabbed my phone. Dan had tried to call, so I sent him a text telling him I was going to call him later. I heard a buzzing on Jack's desk, so I went over to see what it was. Jack's phone buzzed with a text after the missed call. 

I picked up the phone and took it over to Finn's room, where Jack and Finn were.

"Hey, Jack...who's a girl called Ella?"

HELLO AGAIN. I know it's been a long ass time, but this is kinda back :'D I have been at Uni, I have finished my semester, I've been on holiday and I had a little break so whipped this up! This required me to re-read the lot, cause I forget what's happened. 

I have grown as a writer cause I do media and all, and I have to say re-reading it...it's not AWFUL, but it's very amateur. And that's fine. I wasn't trying to be perfect. So even though I have to write to a better standard at Uni, I'm going to try keep it imperfect on here cause this isn't my Uni course, it's like a blog where I write what I want and do what I like xd

Sorry I've been away! I'm trying to not ruin the book and I know this had a lot of Jack and Finn and no Dan but as the times have changed, the real life characters have changed as well and I just kind of wanted to go with what they were actually doing and how they have grown into the book, as well as tie loose ends such as the Mom situation and the baby X2 xD

ANYWAY, rant over. Hope you are all well and haven't been too upset I didn't update xD

It wouldn't be a chapter if I didn't self promote a ton xD

Tell me what you think of the book/chapters so far on twitter! :D zoeishere 

Find me on YOUTUBE: www.youtube.com/mszoeishere

I've posted one of my actual university projects on my channel, only like a minute long but its so cool ^_^ so would love if you checked it out. If you can, try not to ambush my youtube channel with posts about wanting me to update. I mean, I get it on here a lot which is fine, but I would much rather appreciate a comment about my channel or videos, rather than asking for updates xD thanks :D

SEE YALL SOON! HOPE YOU ENJOYED!