Midnight Rendezvous

A few days after the Hospital Incident

✩✩✩

Roan Kyra's POV

"Roan... Why are you still awake?" Mommy asked me gently when she opened my door to check up on me.

It's almost 2 in the morning according to my clock.

I could ask the same, why is she still awake?

"I can't sleep." I murmured.

"Is there something troubling you?" Mom asked worriedly. "School perhaps?" 

I shook my head. It has nothing to do with school.

"Then...is it...a.. love problem?" She probed.

"No." I simply said. I don't really wanna talk about it. This is not her concern and I don't want her to get worried on such trivial things.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" She asked again. It seems like she won't go back to sleep until I do.

"Sure, you could sing for me."

"Alright." Mom sat beside me and I lay my head on her lap. She started humming while she stroke my hair and I closed my eyes as her sweet voice penetrated my ears.

It's a lullaby I heard so many times before when I was little. She used to sing this to us whenever we are afraid of frightened of thunder and lightning.

Her voice is really angelic. So clear and pleasing to the ear. People says I also have that kind of voice but I reckon that my mom's voice is incomparable, it calms my nerves and that is something my voice cannot do.

"Hey, mom. How did you and dad meet?" I asked afterwards.

"We already know each other even before we became teenagers and did a movie together. But we aren't that close. He has his own set of friends and I have mine."

"How did he court you?", their courtship has always been a mystery, to both me and Rohan and even to their closest friends and families.

"Now, that's a story for another time." She chuckled lightly. "It's kind of a long story and it'll take until dawn to finish it."

But it's already dawn.

Well, I wouldn't mind losing sleep if I got to hear their story.

"Mom, can you just tell me just a bit of it? Just the highlights.. please? Please?"

Mommy sighed, "alright."

Yay! This is gonna be good.

"Once upon a time.." she started.

"Mom!" I groaned.

"What?" She asked amused.

"You're doing it again."

"Doing what?" She asked innocently but the mischief is very evident in her eyes.

"Once upon a time, there lived a princess in a faraway castle...blah blah blah..don't think I don't know that, mom. Dad did that to me and I don't want to hear it from you too."

This time, mommy laughed. That melodious laugh we love to hear.

"I think I'm going to sleep here tonight." She said.

I sat up straight and look at her, "Dad's going to look for you. You know how he is if he wakes up and found you gone. And I'm afraid I might hurt the baby."

"No, you won't. Don't be so worried, sweetheart. Now, settle down. It's already 2:15. And you still have to go to school tomorrow. And don't worry about your dad, he's a big guy. He'll survive a little scare." She winked at me and smiled a little before she pulled me in for a hug.

"But can we talk a little more? My first class will be at 10:30 so I can sleep maybe until 8." I said hopefully.

"Alright, what do want to talk about?" She said sounding a little bit sleepy.

"Well, since you don't want to tell me about how dad courted you, can you at least tell me when you finally found out that dad is the one, I mean, when you know that you love him."

"Whoa, now that's a more intriguing request." She asked and smiled at me knowingly.

I don't like the way she looks at me this time, it's as if she knows what's running on my mind. But thankfully she didn't pry.

"Well,..how do I put it,..hmmm. I think I fall in love with him long before I realize it. He was quite the charmer. He was always around but mostly just messing with me. And then, we did the movie, we became close, and on the set, we argued a lot, he teased me and make fun of me and he even said I'm not his type. After we did the last movie, we parted ways and didn't see each other for months. Then we reunited on Dawn and Chard's wedding. He was the best man and I was the maid of honor. On the reception, I think he drank too much, and while I was busy entertaining some of the guests, he came up to me and kissed me without warning in front of those guests."

"Wow! Dad is sooo... cool!" I said, though I've heard it before, coming from mom's mouth is different.  Her storytelling is so compelling that it makes me feel like I'm hearing this story for the first time.

"But I didn't think he was cool. So I slapped him so hard. Twice. Because I was so embarrassed and so mad at that time. Just imagine, he is not my boyfriend yet and more than that, there is nothing going on between us. Come on, I haven't seen the man in months then all of a sudden, he'll kiss me in public, who on their right mind will be thrilled in that?"

"Me." I said and she pouted. "Just kidding. Of course, I will get mad too. But what happened next?"

"I'm sleepy, baby. Can we talk about it next time?." her lashes are slowly dropping and though I know she could have faking it, I let her be. Pregnant women need enough sleep. But my incredibly beautiful mom needs more sleep more than ever because she's pregnant with not just one but two.

I kissed her forehead and whispered, "Goodnight, mom. I love you."

I smiled widely when I heard her mumble, "Love you, too."

✩✩✩

I always enjoy the dynamics between Lea and Roan, So even if you find this update, uninteresting, I hope you're not gonna stone me for this.

God bless.