Chapter 5: Living Hell

~Ronnie~

I was avoiding Tawny's calls all day yesterday, but when I heard a knocking on my door, I knew exactly who it was. I considered not answering it and pretending that I wasn't home, but my car was just out front and knowing Tawny, she checked. I groaned when I could hear her muffled voice calling my name through my front door and knew that she wasn't going anywhere until I answered.

I got to my feet frustratedly and dragged myself to the front door. Tawny was mid pound when I finally opened it and I couldn't help my unhappy expression.

"Hi, babe," she beamed, pushing her way inside.

I was exhausted and in no way interested in hanging out with practically my mother. I worked a twelve-hour shift at Black's last night and didn't get home until past four a.m. Tawny didn't seem to mind at all and she plopped down on my couch and made herself comfortable. I sluggishly plopped down onto the other end next to her and shut my eyes as I waited for whatever the hell Tawny wanted to say to come out.

"Tired?" Tawny asked, beating around the bush of whatever reason she came here for.

"Considering the fact that I only got home four hours ago, I'd say tired is an understatement," I said, making Tawny chuckle.

Billy, the manager at Black's was out of town last night and that left me working alone. We had two other bartenders, but one of them was fucking Ace and the other one was fucking Tweaker. That meant that any time either of the men came calling, they conveniently got out of working and I got stuck with the shift. Even though I knew Ace was still out of town, Loraine had called in and I was forced to work a double alone.

"Alright, I get it. I came a little too early," she said, holding up her hands in defense.

"Ya think?" I asked, opening my eyes for the first time since I got on the couch. "What's going on?"

Tawny sighed, and I knew what that meant. "I need a favor."

Mick and Tawny didn't take advantage of the fact that I was eternally grateful for what they had done for me, but they certainly didn't shy away from guilt tripping me into doing favors for them either.

"What?" I groaned.

"Carter needs to buy a dress for a dance or some shit and the girls need help buying shit for the party tonight and I can't-do both."

Both options were equally terrible and given my level of exhaustion, I was in no mood to do either. I loved Carter, she was Cash's little sister and almost like one to me, but taking her shopping was my worst nightmare. On the other hand, helping the old ladies buy stuff for the party at the clubhouse tonight sounded just as bad. All the old ladies ever did was hound me with questions about me and Cash and why weren't official. Something I really wasn't in the mood for.

"Can't the girls shop without you?" I asked, hoping I could somehow get out of this.

Tawny bit her lip. "I'm sure they could."

I narrowed my eyes, I was on to her.

"You just don't wanna take Carter shopping, do you?" I asked.

I had taken her shopping before, and fuck was that a mistake. She was definitely the most indecisive sixteen year old and she stopped to text her friends every five seconds to see if they approved of whatever she might buy.

"I love my daughter, but fuck if I hate taking her shopping," Tawny admitted. "And that's just when it's regular shopping, imagine the hell she'll put me in for a prom dress."

"Homecoming," I corrected.

"What?" she questioned.

"It's the homecoming dance, Prom is at the end of the year."