14. Earthquake

14. Earthquake 

Anger is one letter short of Danger.  -Unknown

***

Great. Zane had another cousin. I'm starting to get nervous because it seems all of Zane's relatives are not a big fan of him or his father.

"Yeah." Zane sighed. "That's my cousin."

"Oh, don't tell me he wants to kill us too." Ace asked worriedly.

"Don't be ridiculous, Perri's actually cool." Ali assured.

"Yeah but, I have a feeling that whatever Hayden's pulling tonight, has something to do with him." Zane said.

The whistle blew and the whole team gathered around Coach McAllen. "Listen up ladies, you go out there and kick ass! I want to see some sportsmanship!" The Coach yelled.

We all looked at him weirdly. That didn't sound like coach at all.  "Just get out there and Win!!" He screamed. "Captain, let's go!"

Okay, that sounded like coach.

Zane called out. "1!...2!...3!"

"GREEN BROOK!"

Everyone took their positions on the field and I stood against this boy who smelled like trees.

Either he spends way too much time outside or he needs to stop using car fresheners as deodorant.

"A pretty girl like you shouldn't be playing a tough game like this." He whispered behind me.

I turned to look at him. I studied his body and he was 6'2, he probably weighed almost 200 pounds and his arms were thirty inches long.

I could definitely outrun him. "See something you like?" He smirked at me.

I turned back around. I rolled my eyes as I practically felt his eyes on my ass in these shorts.

Typical.

The two captains were in the middle of the field next to the referee as the game was about to begin. From where I was standing, I could see Zane and Perri smiling at each other.

They shook hands and the referee blew his whistle, as he threw the ball into the air.

Zane immediately took the ball down the field and all of us were after him. He looked around and crossed over Perri before sliding the ball to Nikki.

As I ran down the field, I saw her eyes glowing yellow and she has this huge grin on her face.

After a while, she passed me the ball and I smiled as I dribbled down the field and shot the ball right into the goal. Our first goal in less than five minutes, hell yeah!

The Green Brook side of the bleachers roared.

Nikki came up to me with her eyes still glowing yellow. "That's what I'm talking about." She patted me on my back and we made our way back down field.

***

It was now the third quarter of the game and we were losing.

22-25.

It was an easy catch-up, though.

Even though I made the first goal, Zane, Ace, and Nikki were on fire. We were huddled In a circle and everyone was sweating and painting. "Okay, change of plans." Zane grunted."Malia and Mani switch positions."