• one •

"What do you mean?" The black-haired boy asks me, a clueless expression on his mixed features. "It's me, Hansol."

Before I can respond, the other boy begins to laugh causing me to jump slightly. He hunches over, clapping his hands together with an amused grin on his face.

"Good one, Nari. Good joke. You can stop pretending now."

"I really don't know who either of you are," I insist, watching as their expressions both contort into shock. "I'm really sorry."

"I'm your boyfriend. I'm Soonyoung." The brunette speaks after a few silent moments, teary eyed. He digs into the back pocket of his jeans and pulls out a folded photograph, handing it to me carefully. I stare at the fading image, realising quickly that it depicts me and him.

I'm smiling widely, my eyes looking directly into the camera, whilst Soonyoung's head is tilted and he's looking directly at me. We look in love. Right now, however, I'm looking into the eyes of a stranger.

"One day, Nari, we'll get married," Soonyoung announces optimistically, throwing his arm over my shoulder. "--And we'll have twenty babies."

"Twenty?" I giggle. "Is that even possible?"

"Everything is possible when you believe."

"You're so cheesy." I say, pinching his cheeks.

"I'm your best friend," the boy named Hansol speaks up, moving nearer towards me. "I don't have any photographs right now to show you, though."

I smile sadly at his attempt to lighten the mood, but the feelings of confusion and guilt overthrow any comfort. The disheartened looks on both their faces are enough for me to tear up.

"I'm sorry," I apologise again, not entirely knowing why. "I'm really sorry."

"There's no need to apologise," Soonyoung insists just as a nurse enters the room. "Maybe someday you'll remember us."

After a standard checkup procedure, the nurse sits beside my bed and asks: "do you remember what happened?"

I was so caught up in the two boys that I forgot to question what happened to me, why I'm in the hospital. I shake my head no, anticipating her explanation.

"You were in a car accident four months ago with your boyfriend. A truck hit your side of the car and you suffered severe injuries to your head. You were in a coma until today."

"Really? The silent treatment?" Soonyoung questions, evidently agitated. "How mature."

"That's rich, coming from you," I snap, breaking the temporary silence. "You're nineteen and still act like a child."

"Whatever, Nari."

"I rang your mom," Hansol informs me, sitting at the edge of my bed. "She's driving here now."

I'm so thankful that I remember her; I can't imagine the pain she'd be forced to endure if her very own daughter didn't recognise her. From her long, dark hair to signature red lipstick, everything about her is still vivid in my mind.

"Thanks for calling her." I thank him, offering a small smile.

I feel terrible for not remembering my best friend and boyfriend. I don't even know if they classify as that anymore considering they're practically strangers to me now. The nurse told me it could take a day, a year or even a decade for me to remember them, or perhaps never at all, because the brain is that unpredictable.

I silently pray that my memory will return soon, because if not, I have the difficult task of relearning to love my boyfriend and best friend.

an; hey guys, I'm back! It's been months since I finished Dino's Twin Sister and besides Messages, this is my first Seventeen fan fiction since. I'm really excited for this.

Thank you all for your usual support! I uploaded the prologue last night and already so many people have added this book into their reading lists. It means a lot <3