• eighteen •

the day of the accident

I push him away the moment his lips touch mine, shock filling my system as I stare at him, mouth agape.

"I love you," he confesses. "I know it's wrong but I can't help the way I feel."

Silence. I inhale deeply.

"We're just friends, I don't see you in that way. I'm sorry."

He nods his head understandingly.

"Just promise me one thing, Nari. Please don't tell Soonyoung."

"I wont." I lie. I have to tell him, he's my boyfriend.

"Or Hansol." He insists.

"I promise," I whisper halfheartedly. "I should go--"

"Nari, please don't." He pleads helpfully.

"I'm sorry." I say quietly before grabbing my coat and leaving swiftly.

Less than twenty minutes later I find myself knocking at the door of a familiar house.

"Why are you crying, Nari?"

I didn't even realise I was crying. Perhaps it's because everything is so, so, so messed up right now.

"Can I please stay here tonight? I can't go home."

"What happened?" Hansol asks, stepping aside so I can enter. "Are you okay?"

I shake my head. "No, I'm not okay."

He sits me down on the couch in his living room. I take a few deep breaths before explaining to him what happened, knowing fully that I can trust him with all my heart.

"Honestly, I think you should talk to Soonyoung about all of this. It might make matters worse if you avoid him. Nari, he trusts you." Hansol advises once I finish explaining.

"I don't know." I mumble, knowing fully that he's probably sent me hundreds of messages and called a million times.

"Let me make you something to eat first. Relax for an hour or two and then I'll drive you home."

"Okay." I whisper, finally agreeing.

"Soonyoung, I have something to tell you. Promise me you won't get mad." Is the first thing I say once I step inside the apartment.

"Say it, then. I've been calling you all day, Nari. Where have you been? I've been going out of my mind here!" He exclaims angrily.

I take a deep breath and divert my eyes to the floor.

"Seokmin kissed me."

Not even two minutes later, I find myself in the passenger seat of Soonyoung's car. He's shouting angrily something about how we're going straight to Seokmin's house, but my eyes are so blurred with tears and my ears are ringing so loudly that I barely know what's going on. He begins to drive and the car swerves ever so slightly.

I turn to face him and notice his eyes are wavering.

"Have you been drinking?" I ask in horror as the car speeds down the seemingly never-ending road.

"No, why would you think that?" Soonyoung asks angrily, turning his head to face me and not the road.

"Soonyoung!" I shout and his head whips forward. He grips the steering wheel as the car swerves, just in time to avoid an upcoming cyclists riding in the opposite direction, toward us. I gasp and grip the sides of the carseat, my breathing ragged.

"I can't believe he did that," He continues angrily. "You probably let him."

I push my anger aside and it's quickly replaced by fear as he hikes up the speed. "Soonyoung, stop driving so fast!"

He ignores my cry and continues driving at a ridiculously quick speed. My knuckles turn white due to the harshness of my grip on the edges of the car seat. I've never seen him as angry as this before and I'm scared.

"One of my best friends," he mutters, just loud enough for me to hear him over the sound of the angry engine. "Out of all people, it had to be him. Didn't it?"

Silence.

"When did it happen?" He asks - no, demands.

"This morning."

"This morning? It's almost 5 now, where have you been since?"

I brace myself for the anger I know is going to come.

"I went to Hansol's house. I was upset and I didn't--"

"You went to his house?" He asks angrily, grip tightening on the steering wheel. "Why didn't you come home? You were probably kissing him, too."

"He's my best friend, Soonyoung! Why is that so difficult for you to understand? You don't have control over me!" I finally snap and his skin reddens in anger.

"You're so damn selfish, Nari!"

"I'm selfish? That's funny. You're the one who cheated on me."

He almost slams his foot on the wheel. Almost.

"What?"

"Jimin told me herself last night. You cheated on me with her. I tried so hard not to believe her, I didn't want to believe her. "

"He doesn't even like you!" I shout angrily, hot tears surfacing in my eyes.

"He wasn't saying that last night, Nari." Jimin sneers and I frown.

"What are you talking about now?"

"Your boyfriend cheated on you last night. With me."

"No, I didn't!" He insists, no trace of dishonesty in his tone. "She's just jealous of us, she always has been."

"I don't know if I believe you." I admit hesitantly.

"We can talk about this later. For now I need to beat the sh--"

"Please don't be mad with him." I whisper helplessly. Of course he's mad. Still, there's no need for him to react in such a violet way.

This seems to trigger something inside him as he begins to shout an array of profanities in response to my useless request. He's barely even keeping his eyes on the road.

I can't stay in this car any longer.

"Let me out, Soonyoung," I surprise both myself and him by ordering. "Stop the car and let me out."

"Fine!" He shouts, slamming his foot against the break.

My body halts forward slightly due to the force, hard enough for my seatbelt to achingly pull me back. I stay seated for a few moments, simultaneously shocked and angry at him all of a sudden.

All that can be heard is our breathing as we sit there -- in the middle of the road -- until a distinct sound of a vehicle approaches. I look instinctively to my side and through the window, my heart literally skipping a beat or two at the sight of an incoming white truck.

It comes closer and closer until--

an; and you all thought it was hansol who kissed her ;) ;) ;) ;)

well that was the big revelation! i hope you enjoyed this chapter. if you didn't realise, it's practically all written with the memories from the other chapters. this book isn't finished, don't worry, i still have quite a lot planned