• twenty three •

For a few moments, I simply lie there stunned. An uncomfortable, burning sensation rushes up the entirety of my left side as the pain heightens. The two boys now standing above me curse and rush to help me to my feet. 

When Soonyoung's hands reach out to me, however, the words: 'don't touch me' escape my lips involuntarily. He stares at me, dumbfounded, before a glassy layer fills his eyes. I sigh at the guilt now swimming inside me but the pain in my hip manages to outweigh it. 

"I'm really sorry," Soonyoung apologises, suddenly calm. "I didn't mean to push you."

"I know you didn't." I sigh in response, whereas my mind screams: 'it wouldn't have happened if you were mature about something for once'.

Hansol is next to utter apology after apology. I assure him everything is OK but the bulging pain in my side says otherwise. 

"I'll give you guys some time--" Hansol begins after a few moments of silence. I cut him off.

"No," I blurt. "Don't leave." 

So he doesn't. The three of us sit in an extremely uncomfortable silence until I decide to speak up. 

"Hansol," I clear my throat. "Will you help me get some blankets? It's getting cold in here." 

Really, Nari? I ask myself. What a rubbish excuse that is. Soonyoung glances at me as if to ask 'why not me?' but doesn't question us.

He follows me into the bedroom I once shared with Soonyoung and shuts the door behind us. Silently, he heads towards the wardrobe and reaches for the blankets folded in the top shelf. I try to help but it's slightly to tall for me. 

Hansol gasps and for a few seconds I'm utterly confused. That is, until, I look down and notice my shirt has reeled up ever so slightly, but enough for the new-growing bruise to be visible on my hip. 

"Jesus, Nari," he whispers and instantly drops the blanket onto the floor. "I didn't realise it was that bad. This is my fault -- damn -- I caused that." 

"No, Hansol, you didn't. It was my fault for stepping between you." 

"I made him angry and you were just trying to protect me." Hansol whispers, his voice cracking. 

"Don't blame yourself." I say quietly, wincing as I lift my self up so that our lips are inline. I gently press them together, pulling away after only a few seconds. This is wrong, Soonyoung is only in the next room. 

"We can't keep doing this." Hansol mutters quietly underneath his breath. I nod my head in agreement despite the fact my heart is yearning for him. 

"Is everything OK?" Soonyoung asks, opening the door and stepping inside before I can reply to Hansol. "You guys were taking a while." 

"Everything is fine." I insist with a tight smile. Everything is certainly not fine. 

I'm involved in possibly the most messed up relationship ever. Soonyoung wants us to be together and, considering we never officially broke up, I'm cheating on him with my best friend. No matter what route I take to solve this, someone is going to end up hurt.