Chapt. 7

Frank Herbert once said: "The vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time becomes a narrow door." Karlie was sixteen when she first heard that quote. Sitting in English class and discussing the importance of time.

She never thought of time coming to an end. Whenever you out something off or take that time with the special someone you're falling for, what is the realistic point? When you discover the importance of now and how we should take advantage of it, you start to engage in a mentality you never thought you could reach. Karlie doesn't reach it today when she sees Taylor walk in front of her for the first time in a little over four months. She didn't realize how she couldn't stop memorizing how slow and graceful Taylor was as she entered the venue, parting waves of men in suits and plastic wives with their champagne, even shutting down the music.

Never before did the brunette realize how much time really hurts. As her heart fills with a dull ache, starring into the blue eyes that held her what now felt like a lifetime ago. Looking into Taylor's eyes she sees the small future, her brow furrowing when she realizes she doesn't understand what's going on. Was this a dream? One of those lucid dreams where you slip out of reality and become conscious in your mind? Was Karlie actually at this event or was she dreaming about the whole thing?

And why did the clock feel like it stopped ticking? This couldn't be real, everything in her life suddenly felt so short. The vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time truly becomes a narrow door.

"Please, tell me this is a dream. I don't feel real anymore, Taylor, she's here. But she's so out of reach," Karlie mumbles mentally, still glancing into her true lovers eyes. "Why is this happening to me?"

"Karlie.." Taylor says in a gentle whisper and small, relieved smile as she now stands in front of the brunette.

"This can't be real.." Karlie croaks in disbelief, shaking her head slightly and trying with all her might to hold those stubborn tears back. Taking a shaky step back she sees Taylor's worried eyes scan her own trembling body and Karlie watches as Taylor lightly twitches, wanting to reach out but holding herself back.

"It is real, I'm here." Taylor says, making sure to keep eye connection with the brunette. "I know I don't deserve it but I just want five minutes." She says in a shaky tone. Karlie gulps, glancing up she notices how everyone around her has silenced down, and all curious eyes of strangers in the city gazed upon these two women.

"I don't know." Karlie whispers, her voice trembling. She'd give anything to hear Taylor's voice again but now that she's here, she doesn't know if she can handle more heartbreak.

"Five minutes. Please Karlie." Taylor pleads, her voice coming across a lot stronger than just before. Recapturing Karlie's attention as their eyes lock once more.

Taylor's whole body seems to sigh as she looks down at her hands, takes a deep breath and looks back at Karlie again.

"When I was growing up, I always knew I was different. I struggled on and off with depression and I was too young to understand why I was so sad, or what could be causing it. Then, one day, I found you. From the moment you walked into my life ten years ago and stared off as just my best friend, my life has never been the same." Taylor pauses. She sees that Karlie's wall is slowly falling down and the girl is slowly hanging on to everything Taylor has to say.

Tears that have been threatening to fall finally become uncontrollable as small tears begin to glide down Taylor face. Illuminating her blue eyes with emotion and deep love unlike anything Karlie has seen from her before.

"And then, I finally told you after three years of just being your friend that I liked you. When you walked away and avoided me for days I felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest. I was so young, we were so young, yet not having you around felt like I couldn't breath anymore. The day you showed up at the dance changed our lives forever, Karlie."