~~Chapter Five~~

I woke up to the sound of men cheering downstairs. What in God's name is Lafayette doing down there? My legs wobbled as I stood from the bed, my right leg giving away due to my sprained ankle. Apart from the ankle injury and the struggle of tying my corset without a servant's help, I managed to dress myself and pull up my hair quite easily. 

       I held onto the railings of the staircase as I slowly and cautiously made my way down to the main room

       I held onto the railings of the staircase as I slowly and cautiously made my way down to the main room. Lafayette, Laurens, and Mulligan were sitting on the sofas, mugs of what I assume is beer in their hands. They seemed very intrigued in their conversation, yet when I 'walked' two paces away from the stairs a gentle hand came to support me. My freckled friend stabilized my frame and helped me sit down on one of the sofas.

       "Ah! Mes ami!" Greeted Lafayette, "I see you are awake. Would you like a drink?" He raised up his mug of beer, drinking half of it in one go. Sure, to most women the sight of a man drinking would be disgusting, but I'm not like most women. As a matter of fact, if I wasn't still ill from last night's drinking, I would be on my third beer by now. So much for 'ladylike' and 'etiquette', eh mother.

       I shook my head and thanked Lafayette for the offer, explaining to him that I'm not in the mood. Yet. I stood up from the sofa and headed towards the kitchen, Laurens following me like a lost puppy. Every time I stumbled even the slightest bit, he would take my arm and help me stand up straight again. Honestly, I'm sure that he would make the perfect husband for someone someday. But I guess that until then, he's stuck getting drunk every night and helping his friend with her sprained ankle. 

       To the boys' discontent, I fixed up a breakfast for them. At first, they argued that I shouldn't be working myself too hard, especially with an injury, but once they saw the bannock cakes, the bowls of porridge and the mugs of beer, they instantly stopped ranting and sat down at the table. Surprisingly, Laurens was the first to finish, followed by Hercules and then Lafayette. They asked me if I wanted to eat with them, but I came up with the half-assed excuse that I had eaten while they were chatting in the living room. Lies. Although I hated my mother's teachings about being a proper woman, many of them stuck to me, such as never eat at another person's house unless they invited you for dinner. Not for breakfast or lunch. Only dinner. Luckily for me I snuck some spoonfuls of porridge while I was making the food.

~~~

       The four of us walked out into the streets, Laurens still assisting me in any way he could see possible. Even after I told him to stop worrying about me, he still does. It doesn't necessarily bother me, it just makes me feel like I need someone to take care of me when I don't. If I, going to fight in this revolution I need to learn how to deal with any injury that comes my way. I already learned how to defend myself, all I need now is to learn how not to depend on others. 

       We were about to enter the library (I wanted to see if the librarian would let me check out a book without any man having to sign a sheet that said I could) when a short Bishop stepped onto an empty crate of tomatoes, a roll of parchment tucked under his arm. He took out the parchment and read out loud, gathering the people's attention.