~~Chapter Thirty-Five~~

August 25, 1797

       Marie held Alex in her arms while we walked down the streets of New York, everyone looking at the three of us with pitiful expressions. They seemed to be holding a rather large pamphlet—something you would expect a man with a lot of time on his hands to write. 

       "Mother, why are the townspeople looking at us that way?" Questioned my daughter. I simply shrugged and kept walking, their skeptical looks not breaking my stride. Although, I have to admit, my mind keeps wondering what is suddenly so peculiar about my family. And as much as I try to shake the thought off my brain, it stays put—as if it had been sewn into my mind. 

       After a few minutes of everyone staring at us, I finally decided that it would be best if we returned home. There is no need for us to be stared at if we do not know why. Marie, Alex, and I walked towards our home, a carriage parked outside. Niklaus—my brother—raced towards me and engulfed me in an embrace. 

       Of course, I returned it, but I am still unsure as to why everyone is acting strangely around my family. From the thirty-nine years I have been on this Earth, Niklaus has not hugged me once. As you can see, it is very obvious as to why I would be skeptical about the situation.

       "Oh, my dear sister." Niklaus mumbled into my hair. "I am so sorry that this happened to you. I should have suspected that this Alexander Hamilton was no good for you." He broke away from the hug and cupped my face in his hands. "You will get through this. I will never leave your side. And I am sure Elijah and James will say the same—maybe not James, but Elijah for sure."

       I shook my head in unawarness. "Why would Alexander be bad for me? I do not understand. For the past few hours the people have been looking at me and Marie and Alex Jr. as if we had just been resurrected. I am sick of it!" I grabbed Niklaus' collar and pulled him towards me in a threatening manner. "Tell me what is going on. Now."

       "No." Niklaus refused. Just as I was about to argue with him, a voice interrupted me. I am always getting rudely interrupted, aren't I?

       Elijah raced towards me and hugged me tighter than Niklaus did. "My beloved sœr, I apologize for not realizing how terrible Alexander is before he hurt you. But I promise that from this day foreword, me and Niklaus will stay by your side for as long as you need us to whenever you need us." He held my shoulders and crouched slightly to get on my height level. "We will always be here for you."

       I looked between my two brothers, both giving me a look I can only describe as--you guessed it--pity. Why does everyone have sudden pity on me? "You two are going to tell me what in the hell is going on before I tear you limb. From. Limb."  I threatened. 

       Niklaus sighed before looking at Elijah—who nodded. He reluctantly brought out a large and thick pamphlet. In fact, it looks similar to the pamphlet everyone in town has. My hands trailed through the parchment as my eyes scanned the beautifully manufactured calligraphy on the lengthy literature paper. Elijah took a deep breath and lifted my chin. "Y/N, you have married an Icarus—he has flown too close to the sun."

        Confused on his sudden reference, I took in the words written on the pamphlet. All of New York seemed to be looking at me, making me quite nervous. Then I remind myself that I am not doing something life changing—I am purely reading a pamphlet entitled 'The Reynolds Pamphlet' [That's what it says on the paper]. Right below the title the name of the author sat pridefully: Alexander Hamilton

       My fingers played with the parchment paper as I began to read, my nerves working a bit faster now.

                              The Reynolds Pamphlet

        The charges against me is a connection with one James Reyonolds, for purposes of improper speculation. My real crime is an amorous connection with his wife for a considerable time with his knowing consent. I had frequent meetings with her—most of them at my own house—with Mrs. Hamilton and our children being absent on a visit to her brother. 

      I flipped through the rest the pages; each filled with descriptive details about Maria Reyonolds and their torrid affair. Tears pricked my eyes like needles to sensitive skin. How could he do this to me? I switched to a random page out of the ninety-five there are and continued to read.

        She courted me, escorted me to bed and when she had me in a corner that's when Reyonolds extorted me. I paid him quarterly. I may have mortally wounded my prospects, but my papers are orderly. Yes, have reasons for shame—but I have to committed treason and sullied my good name. As you can see, I have done nothing to provoke illegal action. Are my answers to your satisfaction?

       People from the streets began to walk past my home, practically yelling. "Have you read this?!" 

       Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were the ones leading a large group of townsfolk, throwing around copies of 'The Reynolds Pamphlet'

       Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were the ones leading a large group of townsfolk, throwing around copies of 'The Reynolds Pamphlet'."Well, he never gon' be President now!"

       "Never gon' be President now!"

       "That's one less thing to worry about!"

       "Hey! At least he was honest with the money!"

       "Never gon' be President now!"

       "Hey! At least he was honest with the money!"

       "That's one less thing to worry about!"

       I ran into the house and upstairs, shutting the door and closing the windows. Still, I could hear the sound of people booing Alexander and cheering for Thomas. He was right--

       The people outside bellowed. "The Reynolds Pamphlet!"

       "Have you read this?!"

       "You ever seen somebody ruin their own life?"

       --I should have left Alexander while I had the chance.

       "His poor wife......."