~~Chapter Twenty-Eight~~

Author's Note-- This chapter is dedicated to @That-1-Guy . If you guys did not notice, the picture was of Icarus falling and it connects to Alexander by the fact that during the last chapter, he had already flown too close to the sun. Also, my good friend _Angelica_Schuyler_ tagged me in a challenge, so here it is. I tag @That-1-Guy , RoseAndKitty, @EchoFlowerGirl , and Senpaiisms. You are to spell your name using the name of your favorite songs.

Satisfied—Renée Elise Goldsberry

Alexander Hamilton—Lin-Manuel Miranda

Best Of Wives And Best Of Women—Philipa Soo

Right Hand Man—Christopher Jackson

I Know Him—Jonathan Groff

Nicotine—Panic! At The Disco

Aaron Burr, Sir—Leslie Odom, Jr.

                         Clermont Street Renamed After General Mercer 

       In a way to commemorate his tragic death in 1777, Clermont Street in New York was renamed after General Mercer. Although his service in the war was cut short, he is still part of our history and his legacy continues to this day.

       It surprises me that so many are worried about their legacy, and here comes General Mercer, dying two years into the revolution and getting a street named after him. What are the chances of that? And the irony is impressive. 

       "Y/N." I turned around to see Alexander sliding on his green coat. "I am to meet up with Aaron Burr. Keep and eye on the children and stay safe." I half-expected him to walk over to me and kiss me, hug me, or even say goodbye to me. It did not happen. He is always out of the house—and when he's at home he's in his office. He keeps me out of his office, never letting me inside. I want to know what is in that room. Is that so much to ask? I want to be in the room where it happens! I watched Alexander walk through the oak door, abandoning me and letting me drown in my thoughts. 

~~~

       Marie chased after three year old Niklaus as me and Elijah sat and chatted. My brother's wife, Katerina, was caring for their smallest child—Rose—upstairs.

       Elijah smiled at me. "How are you, my dear sister? How're Alexander and Philip?" 

       "We are all doing quite wonderfully, thank you for asking. Are you planning on doing anything drastic as Senator?" Elijah became Senator about three years ago—two months before Niklaus was born. 

       My brother shook his head and said 'no' before looking at Niklaus. A bright shine found its way onto his eyes. "I think I might retire soon. With little Rose being born and Katerina staying at home to take care of these adorable rascals, I suspect my assistance will be needed at some point."

       "That is very surprising of you to say, Elijah." 

       "How so?"

       "Well, for starters, you have always been the most ambitious of my brothers—seeking new frontiers for you to cross. You are unstoppable, Elijah. It stuns me to hear the words 'I might retire soon' fall out of your mouth." I used hand gestures to express my shock, my brother chuckling at the extravagancy of them. "It is just very peculiar to have the knowledge that you will eventually retire. How much longer to you plan on staying in your job?"

       "About three or four more years." 

       "Good to hear that." I looked outside the window and gasped. "Elijah, thank you for inviting me to your home, but I am afraid I have to go. I had a wonderful time."

       He nodded and gave me a quick hug before letting me go. I grabbed Marie's arm, wished the best to Elijah and Katerina, and left.

~~~

       I walked into the bedroom after tucking in Marie, Philip luckily already asleep. My legs trudged towards my bed—I slipped off my dress and changed into my nightgown, unpinning my hair. I climbed into bed and blew out the dim candle perched atop a dark oak, small table. 

       The door to the room opened and closed, someone getting into bed with me. The person's arms seemed to be debating whether or not they should wrap around me. In the end, my eyes lulled to sleep, no one holding me to their body. 

~~~

       "Philip." I scolded. "Do not tell your sister stuff like that. It frightens her."

       My son nodded and hung his head low in shame. Marie—on the other hand—was shaking in her pale pink dress because Philip decided it was a good idea to tell her that there were ghouls and Minotaurs hidden under her bed. She practically screamed when he told her that, rushing to my side and clutching into the skirt of my dress until her knuckles paled and eventually turned white. 

       Marie sniffed as I comforted her and held her in my arms. "Mommy, the monsters don't really exist, do they?"

       "No honey," I assured her, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. "What he said was a complete lie." She looked up at me and smiled, the gesture not meeting her eyes. Marie began to walk away from me and ran upstairs—she yelled 'Philip' as her dress bounced up and down as she got further and further away. 

       I chuckled, heading upstairs and into the bedroom. It's getting quite late outside—Alexander should be arriving soon. It does not matter, however. He won't pay any attention to me anyways. 

       My legs rested against the chair as I sat down, bringing out my quill, parchment, and ink. The quill in my hand scratched the parchment paper on the desk. 

       My dearest brother, Elijah, 

                 How are you and Katerina? How are the children? I hope they aren't giving you much trouble—I know the feeling of caring for young children: always running around the house, being relentless and never feckless, the whining. Trust me, I know it all. Now that we have children of our own, I believe we owe an apology to our mother. How did she ever put up with us?

                         Best wishes,

                                  {First Initial}. Ham

       I walked down the stairs and out the door, opening the mailbox's small door and placing the letter inside. Alexander still has not arrived—I will not bother to wait for him. Does he still care for me? For our children?