~~Chapter Twenty-Three~~

Author's Note-- I apologize for the tears I may have caused in the last chapter and for the delay of this chapter. It took me a strangely long time to finish this.

                                  August 5, 1785

       After Philip's birth, Alexander moved us to New York--working alongside Burr to finish up his studies and practice law. During that time, Theodosia--Aaron's wife--and Theodosia--Aaron and Theodosia's daughter--have passed by me, Philip, and my newest daughter Marie when we take our daily walk. Yes, I named her after the sweet maiden that served my mother, hand and foot. Sadly, she passed of yellow fever a few months ago--not being able to meet my daughter or having the privilege of marrying her lover. She was buried a couple months ago in Trinity Church, near her deceased parents. I visit her grave at least four times per week.

       Anyway, all this to say, Philip has taken an interest in French and Latin, just like his father. Alexander was right, Philip certainly will blow is all away. Only two years of age and already interested in subjects with higher levels of difficulty than children his age should be learning. However, I have faith in my son that he will continue our family legacy along Marie--who is one year old. 

       "Mother," questioned Philip, "when will daddy come home?" His small fingers clutched onto a hand-sized book. "Robinson Crusoe"

       I looked at the book, raising my eyebrow at it, "What do you have there, Philip?"

       My son lifted the book up to his chest and attempted to read it, saying 'Robison Crusoy' instead of 'Robinson Crusoe'. I chuckled at the way the book was mispronounced--Philip furrowed his brows pouted. "It's not funny."

       "Well, I am immensely sorry for being churlish." I smiled at my son—he returned the smile. My hand rested on his shoulder as I led him towards the main room, sitting him down on the sofa. "Tell me about the book."

       Philip's eyes shone brightly at me, resembling two, isolated large stars dancing amongst a pitch black sky. "The man was left on an island alone, marooned to be exact. He faces dangers and extravagant adventures--and that is as far as I have gotten."

~~~

       "My love," Alexander hugged my waist and kissed my cheek, my back pressed against his chest, "How did the children behave today? How are you? What's for supper?"

       I giggled at his questions, turning around to plant my lips on his. He smiled into the passionate kiss as his hands rubbed the small of my back. His hair felt silky against my fingers, my hands pulling him closer to me. We broke apart with joyful expressions on our faces. "Philip and Marie behaved quite well today--your son has taken an interest in literature--I happen to be quite happy, and we are having a small ration of chicken for supper." Alexander hummed in response. "How was your day at work?"

       "It was stressfully wonderful."

       "I do not understand."

       "Well, my fellow workers have claimed that I talk too much, Burr questioned why I assume I'm the smartest in the room, I was chosen for the constitutional convention--I proposed my own form of government, some called me a 'bright young man' and others asked, and I quote, 'who the f is this'--and I plan on speaking to Burr later tonight." Explained Alexander, nearly running out of breath from telling me about his hours at work. He spends many hours there, opening his eyes before dawn and not returning until there are thirty minutes for the sun to fall and the moon to rise.

       I raised my eyebrows, "All in one day?"

       "People have their questions about my ambition. Burr says I am non-stop." He chuckled, "He wants to know how I can write like I'm running out of time."