~~Chapter Twenty-Six~~

Author's Note-- Back in the -1700s-1800s, the phrase 'the length of my nose' was a joke, insinuating the length of the man's genital.

       "Un, Deux, Trois, Quatre, Cinq, Six, Sept, Huit, Neuf." My fingers hit a high note on the small piano in the main room. 

       Philip sat next to me, repeating the French numbers I announced, "Six, Se-heh-pt, Huit, Neuf." He slightly mispronounced 'sept', but I am sure that he can correct himself.

       "Good." I smiled at my son, "En, Deux, Trois, Quatre, Cinq, Six, Sept, Huit, Neuf." 

       "Six, Se-heh-pt, Huit, Neuf."

       "Sept, Huit, Neuf." I corrected.

       "Se-heh-pt, Huit, Neuf."

       "Sept, Huit, Neuf."       "Se-heh-pt, Huit, Neuf."

       After realizing that he wouldn't pronounce 'sept' correctly, I continued the song, Philip singing along with me. "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine!"

      The green-eyed nine year old next to me grinned, clearly proud of his accomplishment. We have been practicing this song for days and this is the first time we have gone through the whole song. Sadly, Alexander has not yet seen this milestone in Philip's life since he is always locked-up in his office—finding a way for his plan to surely get through Congress. 

       "Mother." My son tugged on the hem of my dress-skirt. 

       I looked down at him and smiled, "Yes, Philip?"

       He brought out a small sheet of parchment and handed it to me. My eyes scanned the page, a glimmer shining in my eyes once I finished it. "Philip, this is wonderful."

       "You think so?"

       "I know so." I pulled my son into a hug, kissing the top of his head.

       Philip glanced up at me with hopeful eyes, "Do you think daddy will find it wonderful?"

       Alexander has not payed attention to any of us for months. At this point, it will not surprise me if he never gets to see Philip's literature-work. I nodded my head, however, not bringing myself to put his hopes down. Philip smiled widely. "Can you call him before supper begins?"

       "Anything for my son." I began to walk towards Alexander's office, all the while thinking 'will he even bother to look at me?' and 'does he care at this point?' Of course, I shook those thoughts away. Alexander would not be as ignorant as to completely disregard my existence, but then again that is what he has been doing for the past months. 

       By the time I controlled my nerves, I was already at Alexander's office's door. My hand began to shake as I placed my hand on the doorknob and twisted it. The light became dimmer the more I emerged my body into his office. "Take a break." 

       Alexander kept writing, "I am on my way."

       "There's a little surprise before supper and it cannot wait."

       "I'll be there in just a minute." He waved me off with his hand. "Save my plate."

       I frowned, stomping over to him and grabbing his arm—I pulled him towards the door. "Alexander."

       He chucked tiredly. "Ok, ok."

       We eventually arrived at the main room. Philip waited silently next to the piano, gulping once he saw Alexander. I dragged my husband and positioned him seven feet away from his son. "Your son is nine years old today. He has something he'd like to say. He's been practicing all day. Philip, take it away."