~~Chapter Twenty-Two~~

I immediately begin to think 'he is probably keeping us informed on John's journey in South Carolina', but I can't help myself from feeling nervous. As I walk into Alexander's office, however, I suddenly feel calm once more. I watch as he coos at Philip, making silly faces at him.

       I may not live to see our glory..........

       "Alexander," I say calmly, "There's a letter for you from South Carolina."

       But I will gladly join the fight...........

        He didn't turn to face me, his attention purely on Philip, "If it's from John Laurens, I'll read it later."

       "No, it's from his father." My voice began to turn shaky as my anxiety rose.

       And when our children tell our story............

       My husband glanced at me, clearly skeptical about the situation. Nonetheless, he continued to look at his son, "His father? Will you read it?"

       They'll tell the story of tonight............

       I looked down at the letter, stains of something previously wet on them, "On Tuesday the twenty-seventh, my son Lieutenant Colonel John Laurens was killed in a gunfight against British troops in South Carolina. These troops had not yet received word from Yorktown that the war was over. He is buried here in South Carolina. As you may know, Lieutenant Colonel Laurens was engaged in recruiting three thousand men for the first all-black military regiment. His dream of freedom for these men dies along with him. The surviving members of this regiment have been returned to their masters." Warm tears began to roll down my face as I kept going.

       Tomorrow there'll be more of us............

       "A-Alexander," I choked out, "Are you alright?"

       He shakily stood from his seat and handed Philip to me, my husband's eyes misty. My bottom lip began to tremble the longer he stayed silent. What was only seconds felt like years, the time ticking torterously slow. Alexander finally opened his mouth, his hands visibly tremulous. "I-I have so much work to do."