~~Chapter Seven~~

Author's Note-- The Phoenix, Rose and Greyhound were the names of the three frigates. Carcass and Thunder were the two bomb ketches. Meanwhile on, British Commanders Cornwallis and Clinton had a force of 4,000 men that included Von Donop's corps of jaegers and grenadiers. The force was covered by H,M.S Rainbow while crossing Denyse Point. By noon, General William Howe landed in Gravesend Bay with more than 5,000 men and 40 cannons safely. He reinforced his men, resulting with 32,000 troops.

                                    August 21, 1776

       "I want the Phoenix, the Rose and the Greyhound positioned in the Namews!" Barked General Washington, "And get Carcass and Thunder in Gravesend Bay!" A letter from Colonel Edward Hand came in a couple minutes ago that stated that the British were preparing to cross Long Island from Staten Island tomorrow at dawn. In the stand of a millisecond, General Washington began to rally us up and commanded groups of us to go to Long Island. Our ships were stationed near New York Harbor. What we didn't expect was for British General Howe's 32,000 troops to surround us.

                                      August 23, 1776

       "We are outgunned!"

       "What?!"

       "Outmanned!"

       "What?!"

       "Outnumbered! Out-planned!"

       The soldiers around me grunted in response.

       "We gotta make an all outstand!" Commanded General Washington, "Ayo, I'm gonna need a Right Hand Man!"

       "Buck, Buck, Buck, Buck, Buck!"

       "Check it. Can I be real a second? For just a millisecond? Let down my guard and tell the people how I feel a second? Now I'm the model of a modern major general, the venerated Virginian veteran whose men are all lining up, to put me up on a pedestal. Writin' letters to relatives, embellishin' my elegance and eloquence. But the elephant is in the room, the truth is in ya face when ya hear the British cannons go-"

*BOOM*

       Blood. That's all I saw. Blood. Men attempted to limp over to the infirmary tents, but they didn't make it. There was that one British soldier who pulled the trigger on their gun and shot the unfortunate person. I still haven't gotten accustomed to seeing men lose their life on the battlefield. What if they had a family? How would their wife and children live without the support of their husband or father? I know the feeling of losing someone important to you, someone close. 

*BOOM*

       The sound of a British cannon made me duck under my free arm. I quickly loaded the bayonet in my hand and shakily raised it up to shoulder's height just like father taught me. A British soldier was in perfect alignment with my gun point. Pull the trigger. Pull it. Do it, Y/N! Pull the trigger! 

Make me proud, my daughter.

       My finger bent, the force of the gunshot knocking me back a bit. I watched as the red coat on the British soldier slowly drenched itself in a shade darker than crimson. The soldier stumbled to the ground, life draining from his body. I shot him. Oh my Lord almighty, I just killed a man. 

       I shrugged off my guilty conscious and continued to shoot at the enemy side. More red substance filled the battlefield the longer we fought.

*BOOM*

      "Y/N, the cannons are killing many of our men," Alexander told me, "We need to do something about it." He raised his gun and pulled the trigger, shooting a red coat.