~~Chapter Ten~~

Author's Note-- 'Nut Brown Maid' was the pet name Alexander gave Eliza due to her dark eyes and brown hair. He would call her that at random moments, and it is somewhat proven that she adored that pet name.

     "Y/N!" Alexander called me over, his fingers turning white for a second as he squeezed Elizabeth's hand. I slowly walked over to the two, my hands shaking as my legs brought me closer and closer to them. "Have you met Eliza?"

       I swallowed the lump in my throat and shook my head, "I-I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure yet." My hands clutched the fabric of my dress a bit too tightly as I curtsied, "Y/N L/N."

       Eliza mimicked my action, "Elizabeth Schuyler, but please, refer to me as Eliza or Betsy. Whichever you prefer." 

       "I was just telling Eliza how gorgeous her dress is," explained Alexander, "Isn't it absolutely stunning, Y/N?" Her dress is quite beautiful. In fact, it looks familiar. Maybe because it's the same color as mine. 

       I nodded my head nervously at Alexander, faking a smile, "Yes, yes it's exceedingly stunning."

       "See? I told you my nut brown maid, you pull off that dress better than anyone else has." A pang of.....well.....I don't know how to explain it, hit something--somewhere--on my chest. It gave a bitter flavor to my taste buds and caused my eyes to fog up. My breathing became ragged the longer I kept my eyes on Alexander and Eliza. He seemed so content, while her eyes displayed her helplessness for him. I quickly excused myself from their company and headed outside.

       The shining moon reflected on the tears welling atop my e/c orbs. As they streaked down my cheeks, the image of the round object in the sky made them appear as silver. A cold breeze caressed my figure. It was soft, calm, and gentle: completely calming. I stood on the second to last step of the staircase that led back inside. No thinking, no wondering, no talking to myself. Just feeling. More tears fell. Something began to form in my throat. It felt dry, strong; yearning to come out. My mind couldn't process what it was, so all I did was hyperventilate, my breath turning shaky. 

       My eyes snapped shut as the dry sensation neared. Closer and closer. 

       The water squeezed out of my shut pools of e/c, streaming down my face until they landed on my lips

       The water squeezed out of my shut pools of e/c, streaming down my face until they landed on my lips. My mouth parted slightly as I let out another parched sob. The salty substance trapped itself into the hollow caverns of my mouth, adding to the already chainy feeling on my tongue. 

       "Mes amie? Are you alright?"