~~Chapter Thirty-Eight~~

1800

       "Meet the newest graduate of King's College!" Bellowed Philip as he stepped into the house. "I probably shouldn't brag, but dag I amaze and astonish!"

       I chuckled as he walked towards me and hugged me. He whispered an 'I love you, mother' before trotting upstairs to tell his brothers and sisters how amazing he is. I do not understand where he gets all of his ambition and cockiness from. Note the sarcasm.

       Moments later, the sound of footsteps began to ring through the main room. Assuming it was Philip, I continued to read the last three pages of 'Common Sense'. After thirty something years of owning this pamphlet, o think it is safe to say that I have completed it. With all of this time on my hands, I can read five pamphlets in one day—depending on the length, of course. 

       A soft hand placed itself on my shoulder; I looked up. My expression turned sour as my eyes caught Alexander's. I quickly stood from the sofa and walked away—he did not bother to go after me. I did not expect him to, however, for he has proven that he is done with showing his 'affection' and 'love' towards me. 

                                   1801

       "Philip." I held my son's arm. "You graduated, there is no need for you to continue this rivalry with Mr. Eaker."

       He shook his head. "No, mom. He does not know what he is talking about. I'm sorry, Ma, but I'm a Hamilton with pride. You talk about my father I cannot let it slide!"

       "Just, do not do or say anything that you will regret. Understood?"

       "Yes, mom."

~~~

       I walked past Alexander Jr. and into the kitchen, planning to help the servants prepare supper. I assisted in baking the cornbread, cooking the chicken, and placing the plates on the table. Exactly seven sets of eating utensils and plates were set on the dinner table: for me, Philip, Marie, Alex Jr., James Alexander, Elijah, and William Stephen. I will feed Y/N when it is time to feed her and Alexander can serve himself. 

       Alex came rushing into the dining room, running towards me frantically. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Alex, what is happening?"

       "Philip." He panted.

       My heart stopped. Philip? It has to be something bad! If it isn't them why does Alex look like he just saw the devil? "Ph-Philip? What happened to Philip?"

       "H-He got shot in a duel!"