~~Chapter Thirteen~~

Author's Note-- I was writing down nine vocabulary words, and for every word I said one duel commandment. I have reached the maximum level of trash.

       "What?" I haven't completely processed this yet. Laurens challenged Lee to a duel. Ok. Laurens challenged Lee to a duel. Still the same. Laurens. Challenged. Lee. To. A. Duel. Laurens challenged Lee to a duel. Oh my God! Laurens challenged Lee to a duel! 

       My eyes widened as I fully understood what Lafayette had told me. I was in such a petrified state that I hadn't noticed that my friend had repeated his statement. "When?" 

       He looked outside, the sky dark and starry, "Alexander said that they would duel before the sun was in the sky."

       "Alexander knows about this?" I asked with gritted teeth. The thought of a stubborn, idiotic, relentless, non-stop, restless man knowing and most likely starting a duel between a General and one of my best friends gave a sick feeling to the pit of my stomach. Lafayette nodded his head slowly, wincing when I let out an exasperated growl. "Where?"

       "Mes amie, I am not fully convinced I should take y-"

       I grabbed the open piece of Lafayette's blue coat and scrunched up the fabric in my hands. He widened his eyes as I looked up at him with anger-filled eyes. My teeth began to ache as I gritted them, "Take me there. Now." 

~~~

       Me and the Frenchman arrived at a highly elevated plain, the air dry and warm. In the distance, I saw Alexander gripping Laurens' shoulder affectionately. I stomped over to the pair and pinched Laurens' arm. "Why the hell would you challenge a General to a duel?! Don't you understand that you could die?!"

       The freckled man held my shoulders tightly as he looked into my eyes, "I'm going to be fine. Do not worry for me, I promise you that I will not miss the chance of seeing you drunk tonight. Because we will be celebrating my victory in this duel." He pulled me into a hug, squeezing my body as I buried my face into his shoulder. "I promise."

      We were seperated by Alexander, who grabbed my hand and pulled me under a tree, "I want you to stand here and don't intervene. Stay alive for me, please." 

       I scowled at Alexander, but nodded my head, nonetheless. I watched as Burr walked over to Alexander, trying to make peace between the two duelists. My friend's face immediately became sour as he began to audibly argue with Burr. The man looked uncertain, nodding his head as he walked back to Lee. My heart began to palpitate. Faster. Faster. The next thing I know, Laurens is taking ten paces away from this opponent, same as Lee.

       "One."

       "Two."

       "Three."

       "Four."

       "Five." 

       "Six.

       "Seven."

       "Eight."

       "Nine."

       "Number ten paces! Fire!"

       The sound of a gun firing made my heart race. Father's opponent looked down at his wound, the bullet piercing his abdomen. Blood began to ooze out of the wound as he clutched it. The doctor on sight rushed over to the man and signaled for the man's second to help carry him inside. My fingernails dug into the bark of the old birch tree, the tree's protective skin peeling off.

       I'm not supposed to be here. 'The dueling ground is no place for a lady' said mother 'Don't you dare follow your father there'. Being the stubborn twelve year old I am, I snuck out of the house to watch the duel my father was challenged to, making sure he wouldn't get hurt in any way. Although he didn't get shot, I'm afraid I'll never be able to erase the lasting memory of watching my father's opponent's face drain of color, his body becoming limp and lifeless.