~~Chapter Thirty-Three~~

July, 1797

       "You have to learn how to deal with wearing a tight corset for fifteen hours a day." I caressed the side of Marie's face. "You will eventually get used to it and it won't be as painful."

       My daughter nodded slowly and headed out of my room, her dress trailing behind her like a tail. A cry broke out once I stood from my crouching position. Alexander is crying again. By Alexander I do not mean my husband, I mean the son I had five weeks ago. I did not know I was pregnant until a month after John Adams became president. 

       I walked into the room Philip and Alexander Jr. shared, lifting the baby and cuddling it. "Sh, sh, sh. It's ok. Sh, sh, sh." Alex's cries gradually minimized and suddenly stopped. I smiled and placed him back onto his small cot, walking out of the room.

       My legs took me down the stairs and onto the sofa, sitting down while opening 'Common Sense'. It surprises me that I have yet to finish this—then again, I never have any free time. One of the female servants opened the door due to the fact that someone had knocked on it. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and Aaron Burr stood behind the door, a smile on their three faces. 

       Thomas entered my home without asking for permission. He immediately rushed towards me and pressed his lips to my hand. "Ms. Y/N, a pleasure seeing you again."

       "Mr. Jefferson, I'm afraid I cannot say the same." He frowned and pushed past me, Madison and Burr behind him. They walked towards Alexander's office, opening the door. Thomas shot me a wink before entering the room and shutting the door behind him. 

~~~

       "Philip," I held my son's arm, "Calm down."

       "I can't, mother! Eaker does not have any respect for anyone except himself!" Explained Philip, the vein on his forehead bulging. "He is thick headed and completely idiotic! I saw him force a girl's hand into his!"

       I opened my mouth to speak before Thomas, Aaron, and James walked out of Alexander's office. My mouth closed itself. The three men had shocked looks on their faces, Thomas approaching me and lifting me off the sofa. He planted a kiss on my cheek and winked at me. "You should have left Alexander while you had the chance."