~~Chapter Thirty-One~~

Author's Note-- I feel the need to tell you guys, my readers, that this song means so much to this book than you could imagine. First off, you saw Y/N's father One Last Time in chapter two, you heard of John Laurens One Last Time in chapter twenty-two, and America will have George Washington as their President One Last Time. Who knows who else in this book will be mentioned One Last Time.......

                                  March, 1797

       "Y/N." Alexander rushed into our home and pulled me off of the sofa. 

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "Alexander, what is going on?" 

       "Washington wishes to see me." 

       "Why are you so nervous? You work for him."

       "He wishes to see you too." My eyes widened. President George Washington wants to see me? Sure, I was under his command for years and during that time he always wished to speak with me, but that does not remove the nerves wrecking my body. I spoke a quick 'I need to get dressed' to Alexander and rushed upstairs. 

       My hands quickly undid the knot on my pale blue dress and tugged it off, tightening my corset a bit and sliding on a newer dress. One that did not smell like Philip's sweat. I specifically told him to bathe before coming into contact with anyone and he disobeyed me.

       I fixed my hair and raced downstairs, grabbing Alexander's arm and dragging him into the streets of New York

~~~

      We slowly entered his office, my palms a tad bit sweaty from the anxiousness flowing through my body. Alexander peeked his head through the door. "Mr. President, you asked to see us?"

       "I know you two are busy."

       I walked into the room after Alexander did, taking in the smell of burning firewood. President Washington stood behind his desk. I choked out a few words. "What do you need, sir?" He did not respond. "Sir?"

       "I wanna give you a word of warning."

       "Sir, I don't know what you heard," started Alexander. "But whatever it is, Jefferson started it."

       "Thomas Jefferson resigned this morning."

       "You're kidding." Alexander looked at me in disbelief. I returned the stare.

       Mr. Washington stepped from behind his desk and a bit closer to us. "I need a favor."

       "Whatever you say, sir, Jefferson will pay for his behavior." God, why can't Alexander let the President talk? I would understand if he interrupted Aaron Burr, but this is the President we're talking to.

       "Shh. Talk less."

       "I'll use the press. I'll write under a pseudonym, you'll see what I can do to him." Alexander babbled on and on—Washington did not seem to care for his words. I silently prayed that my husband would stop talking for once.