~~Chapter Forty-Eight~~

A white light blinded my vision, preventing me from seeing anything. I squinted my eyes as the light got brighter and brighter. After a couple seconds, it stopped, but everything was still white. People that I recognized from the streets of New York walked past me, dressed in all white. I looked down to my clothing—all white dress, resembling my wedding dress from seventy years ago. 

       "You look stunning in that dress, mes amie." I wheeled around to see my favorite Frenchman, standing in a white outfit. He looked exactly like I saw him last, his brown eyes full of joy and determination. 

       I smiled immediately at Lafayette, a sudden rush of energy filling me. I jumped straight into his arms—he held me closely. "Lafayette, I missed you so much!"

       "I missed you too, mes amie." He chuckled. 

      "C'mon, Laf. Don't hog her and let us be emotional too!" Whined a voice from behind us. A gasp escaped my lips. I pushed myself away from Lafayette, turning around. 

       John and Hercules stood proudly and smiled. I ran towards them, engulfing both of them in a hug—Lafayette came up behind us and joined the embrace. We laughed and cried and enjoyed our time together, recalling every memory we had, every time we got drunk (which was a lot). 

       Laurens smiled at me. "So, I saw you and your husband getting steamy eight times after Philip was born. I thought Laf told you not to have fun during the honeymoon." 

       Heat rushed up to my cheeks as my friends agreed with Laurens, chuckling once they saw my beet red face. Then, something clicked in my brain. "Guys, where are Alexander and Philip?"

       My three friends looked at each other. I repeated my question. They still did not answer. Why aren't they answering? Where is my family?

       "I'm right here, mom." I smiled widely as I turned around to see Philip looking at me. I engulfed him in my arms, kissing his forehead. 

       "Philip!" I squeezed his shoulders. "I missed you so much, my son." 

       He let go of me reluctantly and walked towards my three friends, greeting them as if he had known them for years. 

       "Philip." He turned to look at me. "Where is Alexander?" He grinned and looked down at the floor before pointing behind me. "Everyone is behind me aren't they?"

       A pair of arms wrapped around my waist, kissing my cheek. "You took your time didn't you?" He joked.

       I giggled, turning to face him. His face looked just like it did the first time I met him, his eyes still as deep and voidlike as always. I leaned in to kiss him—his lips felt smooth against mine, relieving. Like a thirst finally being quenched. Like an addiction being fulfilled. 

       Alexander broke away from the kiss, his hands still on my waist. I pecked him on the lips and placed my hands on his chest. "I love you, Alexander."

       "I love you too, Best Of Wives And Best Of Women."