~~Chapter Forty-One~~

Author's Note-- Although I feel like you guys already know this, I'm going to say it anyways. I am well aware that the election of 1800 was—well—in 1800 and technically before Philip died, but since the musical 'Hamilton' out this song after the song 'It's Quiet Uptown', I decided to put this chapter after Philip's death. By the way, Y/N is pregnant again.

                                   December 1

       For two months, letters from Federalists have been pouring into our mailbox. They started off as letters to Alexander, but when he did not answer them, the letters were soon directed to me. They would usually say 'convince your husband to vote for either Thomas Jefferson or Aaron Burr.' From time to time, Alexander will show me the letters he receives from the Federalists. Today, he showed me another one.

       Dear Mr. Hamilton,

                 Your fellow Federalists will like to know how you'll be voting.

       He looked up at me and sighed whilst taking my hand. "It's quiet uptown."

       Dear Mr. Hamilton, 

                  John Adams doesn't stand a chance, so who are you promoting?

       "It's quiet uptown." 

       Jefferson or Burr?

       Jefferson or Burr? We know it's lose-lose.

       Jefferson or Burr?

       Jefferson or Burr? But if you had to choose. 

       Dear Mr. Hamilton, 

                   John Adams doesn't stand a chance, so who are you promoting? But if you had to choose.

       A knock on our door caused Alexander to stand from his seat. He rubbed circled on the top of my hand before planting a soft kiss on my cheek and walking towards the door. He opened it to reveal Aaron Burr standing there, a sign in his hand that said 'Vote For Aaron Burr'. 

       "Well, if it isn't Aaron Burr, sir?" Greeted my husband.

        Burr fixed a smile, but it did not reach his eyes. He seemed tired—exhausted, even. "Alexander."

        "You've created quite a stir, sir." 

       "I'm going door to door."

       Alexander raised his eyebrows and glanced at me. "You're openly campaigning?"

       "Sure!"

       "That's new."

       Aaron sighed and patted his forehead with a handkerchief. "Honestly, it's kind of draining."

       "Burr?"       

       "Sir."

       "Is there anything you wouldn't do?" Questioned Alexander.

       "No, I'm chasing what I want. And you know what?"   

       "What?"

       Before stepping back and continuing his campaign, Burr smiled at Alexander. "I learned that from you." He walked further and further away from us, eventually disappearing from our view. Alexander closed the door—he stepped towards me and held my waist. His lips planted themselves on mine as he rubbed my stomach, feeling around for any sings of the baby. 

       Alexander smiled at me. "He will be just as wonderful as you are, amica mea."

       I returned the smile, thinking about those two words. Amica mea—my love. Those words sound wonderful coming from his mouth. I took in the meaning, leaving it chiseled into my memory. 

       My husband kissed me again. "I must go. The people are asking to hear my voice, so my voice they will hear."

~~~

       After arguing whether or not I should go with him, Alexander finally gave up. He grabbed my hand and led me through the streets of New York. We ended up in the middle of a campaign for Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson looking at me once we arrived. He stepped off his pedestal and walked towards me and Alexander.

       "Ms. Y/N." He snatched my hand away from Alexander's and planted his lips on my knuckles. "It is a pleasure seeing you again."

       "Mr. Jefferson, I do not feel the need for me to repeat that it is never a pleasure to see you." I heard Alexander chuckle as his fingers intertwined with mine again. Thomas huffed before walking away and jumping onto his pedestal again. 

       Alexander winked at me. "Wait here, you will find me once I begin my rally." 

~~~

       He was right. Once Alexander left, I immediately found him again, for he was leading a group of people. "Yo!"

       The townsfolk cheered.

       "The people are asking to hear my voice!"

       "Oh!"

       "Our country is facing a difficult choice!"

       "Oh!"

       "And if you were to ask me who I'd promote!"

       "Oh!"

       My husband glanced at Burr, who was waiting patiently in the crowd. I saw Alexander sigh. "Jefferson has my vote!"

       Half of the audience gasped, the rest cheered.

       "I have never greed with Jefferson once!" 

       "Oh!"

       "We have fought on like seventy-five different fronts!"

       "Oh!"

       "But when all is said and all is done." Alexander paused. "Jefferson has beliefs—Burr has none."

       The crowd oohed. Jefferson smirked at Madison. "Well, I'll be damned."

       Madison agreed. "Well, I'll be damned. Hamilton's on your side." The two men walked towards a list that had been put up, keeping us informed on the election. Meanwhile, everyone in New York City could be heard saying 'well, I'll be damned! Well, I'll be damned!'

       Jefferson did not look at the list, but instead nudged Madison in the ribs. "And?"       

       "You won on a landslide."

       Alexander approached me and held my waist, kissing the top of my head. He muttered an 'I love you' before taking my hand and leading me back home.