Chapter 20

I gaped in confusion and terror.

"What- did they see you?" I questioned, my heart rate rocketing. 

"I think so," He breathed, his chest pumping hard as he fought for air. "Maybe they'll just pass by." He mumbled to himself. He didn't seem to believe it even coming from himself, as he proceeded to sink his face into his hands, rubbing his eyes furiously and then searching frantically for an exit route. He started pacing like a madman, and I couldn't keep quiet anymore. 

"Yoongi," I started, taking him by the arm and forcing him to look at me. "Maybe you saw wrong. At any rate, they're probably gone by now, okay? Let's just get back out there and get to the bus stop alright? We'll just go home and everything will be okay," I soothed, rubbing my hands up and down his arms slowly. He shook his head and leaned against the brick beside him heavily. 

"They saw me Whimsy. They're coming."

"Surely...surely they won't do anything Yoongi, I mean...if they kicked you out and abandoned you why would they want to bother you again?" I asked. It was a question I didn't like asking, because it so directly addressed that trauma, but right then it seemed like Yoongi was much more terrified of interacting with his parents again than remembering the years without them. It made me sick to my stomach to see him so utterly afraid. It was reasonable to not want to deal with them after what they'd done, but Yoongi, who had up to this point appeared more or less fearless, looked like he was on the edge of a panic attack. What the hell had they done to him?

"I don't know, Whimsy. They're practically sadistic. I wouldn't be surprised if they just did it for the hell of it." 

I covered my mouth, unsure of how to react.

"You should go home quickly," He suddenly urged. "I don't want them to see you, do you hear me? Please, you need to get out of here quickly," He pleaded. 

"No!" I insisted, "There's no way I'm leaving you alone with those people!" Yoongi looked ready to pick me up and chuck me all the way back home with purely his force of will in that moment, but a voice interrupting let us know the time for arguing about it had ended.

"Min Yoongi," came a deep man's voice with thick *Satoori, "Where have you been all this time?"

Yoongi tensed up and moved in an instant to stand in front of me and face them. 

Who the fuck did they think they were to ask that-

"Don't say anything," Yoongi whispered to me. That was going to be a hard order to follow. "Out of your way, like you asked," He replied seethingly. 

"Omo, seriously where does he get his intellect from? We assumed you'd learn your lesson and come home quickly and just get over your rebelliousness. We never thought you were going to run away forever," His mother laughed coldly, "His brain never did develop with his talent. Did I drop him on his head a lot?"

Yoongi looked like a cord drawn far too tight and ready to snap. "Drop makes it sound like it was an accident."

"You really act like you grew up on the streets after we raised you for most of your life," His dad sighed, "You even hang around Russian prostitutes these days," He chided, pointing to me. 

"She's American," Yoongi corrected, forcing his voice to come out even. I'd never seen him show so much restraint, and it made me wonder if this was him trying to turn over a new leaf or something else. 

"Ah, well at least it's free then." 

Yoongi's head turned tightly, and I could see the veins in his neck straining from up close. I was an inch away from talking back...