Chapter 29

It was late in the afternoon and the house was quiet despite being full of people. Even little Jungkook was floating around, although one member was still noticeably absent. Hoseok had been gone several days now with radio silence. According to the boys, this wasn't unusual behavior for him. I could see they were slightly worried even so, though they tried to put it on the back-burner due to the mounting stress they already had at the moment. 

Dinner arrived and it seemed like the only cheery people around were Soomin and Taehyung, who rarely seemed bothered by anything. Soomin had told me and Eunji she thought what we were doing was "some badass shit", but it didn't feel great. Her and Tae stuck together after that, noticing the solemn mood and wanting to give everyone space. Soomin was a great friend, but not much of the comforting type. Partially, I assumed, because of how incredibly rough she was used to living, people's problems must have seemed trivial. Nonetheless, you could definitely count on her to be in your corner when it was time to fight. 

Jin wore his signature warm smile in a faulty and nervous way. It was clear he was very distressed with the situation and atmosphere, despite how hard he valiantly tried to be sunny. The look of concern crossed his face every time Eunji looked away, and he wasn't the only one. Even in my low state, I noticed how nearly-comatose she was. Her normally loud, spunky demeanor had been deleted and replaced by a girl was sitting in a far seat by the window, staring out completely glassy-eyed and still. Her eyes were still puffy and red from crying, and her body slumped over. I wanted to go to her, but it felt like she was too far away and part me wondered if she even wanted to see me right then. So I stayed, watching from a distance, feeling defeated and terrible for it. 

Suddenly Jin called everyone to dinner. We were short chairs with the excess number of people, but made it work by sharing chairs and of course Soomin, with her usual lack of care in societal restrictions of PDA, sat in Taehyung's lap. The two had grown so physically close in the short months since they had been dating, I could only assume how much they must have already been doing, and how long overdue their relationship was. Perhaps it was their closeness in childhood, but it seemed they had decided to skip the chaste stage of avoiding hugging and hand holding for the first few dates- or even weeks- as was standard here. The entire group was unconventional to begin with though, as could be seen by everyone's lack of concern with the matter, so who was I to psychoanalyze? Oh right, someone trying to avoid thinking about her own life crisis. 

The close proximity made silence more awkward, so it was mutually decided to break the spell at least for now, much to everyone's relief. Though it was a shadow of the usually rowdy, loud setting that usually occurred any time the group got together, it was much more comfortable than the last several hours had been. 

"I have to thank Yoongi for bringing all those games back from his psycho parents. I've never felt so alive as in the last week, destroying Taehyung and Jimin at every single one again and again," Soomin asserted, pointing a chopstick at Yoongi and mock-bowing. "Your sacrifice is truly appreciated."

Before I could look too concerned with how horrible a joke that was to make, an eruption of disagreement flooded from the accused loser's mouths. 

"Yah, we let you win because it makes you happy, there's no need to be a sore winner," Taehyung chastised. Soomin cocked an eyebrow at him and Jimin shook his head slowly.

"Tae, you're the worst super-smash bros player I've ever seen. You couldn't lose to a blind baby monkey." A rumble of giggles scattered from around the table in response. 

"Yeah well, raid your dad's liquor cabinet and bring the findings to pay me back if you really want to. That's about an equally dangerous mission." Yoongi joked back in his normally flat, black-humored tone.