Unexpected Guests

"Alright ladies I know you're all excited about tomorrow's game and I also know that Camden isn't all that good but we still need to play our best game. It's the playoffs now is not the time to slack." Coach said as we all stood around the gym.

School had gone by fast and Coach had pulled us all out of our last hours to practice early.

"Today I want each of you to work on your weaknesses. You know what they are and I want you to turn them into strengths."

We nodded and walked away. I had one main weakness and that was side court shots. I don't know why I suck at them but sinking a side court shot seems impossible.

I grabbed the ball and bounced it a few times. I looked up at the rim from the left side and took a deep breath.

You got this. I encouraged myself.

I lined up the shot and let it fly. It hit the side of the rim and bounced off. I sighed and did it again and again.

"You got this. You're in control not the ball. You make it go where you want it." Coach said patting my back and walking away.

I jumped up and down, trying to loosen up my body, and took the shot. It again bounced off the side of the rim.

I groaned and moved to the right side of the court. I'm not going to get this done in one day, hell I haven't been able to do it for 12 years.

I tried shooting a few times but it didn't work. It never went in. I stepped an inch or two to the right and shot it. It rolled around the rim and fell off.

"Seriously." I groaned.

I looked up and as usual Jess was sitting in the bleachers. It's like routine now for her to come sit in on my practices, especially on Thursday's after her student council meetings. She waved and smiled. Nodding my head I focused my attention back on practice.

"How you doin?" I looked at Sammi as she approached.

I sighed," maybe I'm just not made to shot from the side," I said bouncing the ball.

"Come on Alex, you're a shooting guard, you're made to shoot everything inside and on the arc." She placed a hand on my shoulder.

I chuckled," I just can't get it. It's like the ball is teasing me. It hits the side or rolls around and just falls away."

"You know what they say, practice makes perfect. You'll get it if you really want it." She said before walking away.

Maybe I didn't want it. I mean I play successfully enough already, not to sound cocky, but I was already good. Being able to shot from these two spots won't make much of a difference.

"Come on guys lets run some drills." Coach called walking back in.

***

I threw my duffel bag over my shoulder as I walked up to Jess. She wrapped her arm around my waist and I threw my arm around her shoulders.

"You seemed to be struggling today." She pointed out as we got in the truck.

I sighed and started the car," coach wanted us to work on our weaknesses and mine just so happens to be that I can't shot from side court."

"You were close." She said.

I chuckled," nah, it looks like I'm getting close. The ball bounces off the side of the rim and falls away, always."

We pulled up outside her house and she turned to me," you'll get it. You work hard enough and you will." She leaned over and kissed my cheek.