Chapter 10; The Mines of Moria

The Fellowship of the Ring; Disc 2

Chapter 10; The Mines Of Moria

~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~>

Traveling down the mountain took no time at all and soon they were on the grey road to Moria. Gandalf stopped ahead and talked to Frodo, but everyone kept going. When Aaron passed she got a look from Gandalf telling her not to listen. She saw the same look also get given to Legolas.

"The walls of Moria." Gimli said pointing over a large river to a cliff face. It was perfectly straight and even grayer than the road.

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed." Gimli said as they walked along side the wall. They had found a trail that lead around the river, and were now on the other side.

"Yes, Gimli, their own Masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten." Gandalf answered.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legolas said which earned a few grunts from the dwarf behind him. Aaron walked along side Aragorn, Sam, and the pony Bill. Bill had made it up the mountain with them and down. Now he was to enter the Mines? Aaron didn't think so. She gave a bark making Aragorn look at her and grabbed at Bill's reins.

"No, he's not going into the Mines, Aaron."

Sam letted out a sigh, and rubbed the pony's head sadly. Aaron licked his hand and gave a little whimper of 'I'm sorry.' Sam patted her head. Up ahead, Aaron watched Frodo's foot slip into the water. Aaron looked out over it and felt the hair on her spine stand on end. She gave a low growl at it. Gandalf had now found a wall and started to trace lines onto it.

"Well, let's see." He said under his breath. "Ithildin. It mirrors only starlight and moonlight." He looked up at the moon as the clouds moved over it. Aaron was staring at the wall. Then lines started to show up and she barked at them. Gandalf turned around and looked at them. It looked like a door.

"It reads, 'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.'" He translated for everyone the writing at the top of the door.

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asked.

"It's simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." He placed his staff to the center of the doors and spoke in what Aaron believed was Dwarvish. Nothing happened. Gandalf tried another that sound a little more Elvish.

"Nothing's happening." Pippin stated for anyone who was blind. No one was. Gandalf looked at him with a scowl on his face but turned back to the doors and pushed.

"I once knew every spell in all tongues of Elves...Men and Orcs."

"What are you going to do, then." Pippin asked. Gandalf was growing very annoyed with him.

"Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! And if that does not shatter them...and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions...I will try to find the opening words." Pippin looked down at his feet.

Aragorn and Sam slowly started to take everything off Bill. Sam was holding his head and talking to him. Aaron felt bad for Sam. He had grown to love the little pony and now he was leaving.

"Mines are no place for a pony." Aragorn said to Sam. "Even one so brave as Bill."

"Bye-bye, Bill." Sam said. Aaron came over and Bill lowered his head to her. She gave a little whimper, and he nicked a respond.

"Go on, Bill. Go on." Aragorn told him. He looked at Aaron who nodded her head. "Don't worry Sam, he knows the way home." Aaron turned her head to the sound of something slashing in the water. She watched Merry thrown a stone and Pippin pick up another. Aragorn grabbed Pippin's arm before he could thrown it. "Do not disturb the water."