Chapter 18; A Ruined World

The Two Towers; Disc 1 and my Imagination

Chapter 18; A Ruined World

~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~>

A flag flew down to where Aaron and Aragorn stopped outside the gate. The wind blew it around the ground. It was of a horse; it was the Rohan flag. Aaron's head went down as she looked at it.

This town's hope has been forsaken too. She thought.

"Let's go." Aragorn whispered and she walked through the gates into a town sadder than the world itself.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli said quietly. Aaron looked at the people around her. They were all dressed in black and had the saddest faces. Aaron stopped again and letted a little girl cross in front if her. She was very young, and stopped walking to look at Aaron. Aaron reached out and smelled the girl. The girl patted her nose then walked to where ever she was going. Aaron started up again. She felt something flow through her body and noticed it was Aragorn. She could feel his fear and his concern. Her body started to match it. She shook her mane and got rid of the feelings. She felt Aragorn's hand rub her side in comfort.

After going through most of the gloomy town they came to the Golden Hall of Meduseld. Everyone dismounted and Aragorn handed Aaron's reins to a soldier.

"Careful." He warned him. "She's a bit feisty." Aaron shot him a look. Then as he walked away and she started to fight the man. She pulled on the reins hard but his grip was firm. He took off one of his gloves and rubbed his hand down her neck, reassuring her. She still fought the rope, but didn't try to kill him like she had been thinking of. She looked up at her brother and the others.

~~~~~~

A guard walked out of the doors and greeted them.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame." He said. "By order of Gríma Wormtongue." Gandalf looked at Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, and nodded his head. They started to unarm themselves and hand them over to the guards. None of them gave them willingly, but they did.

"Your staff." The guard said to Gandalf.

"You would not part an old man from his walking stick." Gandalf said. The guard didn't argue and letted them through. Gandalf gave Aragorn a wink and Aragorn smirked at his cleverness. They walked through the doors and into the Golden Hall. Aragorn looked behind him as the door closed and locked. He didn't like this but he wasn't going to argue with Gandalf, at least not yet. At the back of the hall a man in black with greasy hair, who Aragorn gussed to be Gríma, sat next to an old man hunched over in his throne. The greasy haired man was talking quietly to the king.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late." Gandalf said loud enough for the guards outside the locked doors could hear it, maybe. "Théoden King."

"Why should I welcome you..." The King answered weakly. "Gandalf Stormcrow?" The King looked at Gríma beside him.

"A just question, my liege." Gríma said, standing up and walking toward them. "Late is the hour...in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Láthspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest." He now stood in front of Gandalf.

"Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth." Gandalf said back. Aragorn looked to his side where men where walking in pace with them. "I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm." Gandalf raised his staff. The man backed up and swallowed a lump in his throat.

"His staff." He said backing up even more. "I told you to take the wizard's staff." The men Aragorn had been watching ran out and started to fight with the three hunters. Gandalf kept walking forward to Théoden.