Chapter 28; All Shall Fade

The Return of the King; Disc 1 and my Imagination

Dedication to Lozmonster for finding it Fanastic.

Chapter 28; All Shall Fade

~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~>

Aaron walked through a side door into the throne room of Minas Tirth. Faramir had given them information on Frodo and Sam, although Aaron already knew most of it from the dream she finally remembered. She's walked away from Gandalf and Pippin without them noticing and now found herself in the throne room.

Faramir stood before his father, Denethor, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

"This is how you would serve your city?" Denethor said. Aaron placed herself in a shadow and listened. "You would risk its utter ruin?"

"I did what I judged to be right." Faramir answered.

"What you judged to be right. You sent the Ring of Power into Mordor in the hands of a witless Halfling." Aaron growled, but it was too silent to be heard.

"It should have been brought back to the Citadel to be kept safe." The Steward continued. "Hidden. Dark and deep in the vaults, not to be used." There was a short pause for a breath. "Unless at the uttermost end of need."

"I would not use the Ring." Faramir argued. "Not if Minas Tirith were falling in ruin and I alone could save her."

"Ever you desire to appear lordly and gracious, as a king of old. Boromir would have remembered his father's need. He would have brought me a kingly gift."

"Boromir would not have brought the Ring. He would have stretched out his hand to this thing and taken it. He would've fallen."

"You know nothing of this matter!"

"He would have kept it for his own. And when he returned, you would not have known your son." Denethor leapt from his chair.

"Boromir was loyal to me! Not some Wizard's pupil!" Aaron didn't hear the anymore.

She couldn't take this man anymore. He treated his own son like he did everyone else, with hate and disgust. He didn't care about anyone but himself, and Aaron was losing control. She had to leave before she did some foolish, which made her sound like Pippin.

As she was walking down the halls ran found Pippin sitting on a stool. He gave no sign of knowing she was there, so she sat beside him. He still didn't recognize her there. Lost in his own thoughts. Aaron figured.

"What were you thinking, Peregrin Took?" He said. Aaron raised her eyebrows at him. "What service can a Hobbit offer such a great lord of Men?" Aaron bit her tongue and kept back her remark.

"It was well-done." Said a voice coming from the doorway. Pippin quickly jumped up but Aaron naturally relaxed more on the backless bench. Faramir walked toward them. His sword clanking at his side.

"A generous deed should not be checked with cold counsel." He continued. The man considered the Hobbit's coat of arms. "You are to join the tower guard."

"A don't think they would find any livery that would fit me." Pippin stated as the garments were a little too small for him.

"Once belonged to a young boy of the city. A very foolish one, who wasted many hours slaying dragons instead of attending to his studies." Pippin gave a knowing face.

"This was yours?"

"Yes, it was mine." He bent down and fixed the chain-mail. "My father had it made for me." Once again Aaron bit her tongue.

"Well, I'm taller than you were then. Though I'm not likely to grow anymore, except sideways." They chuckled.

"Never fitted me either. Boromir was always the soldier." Faramir's smile disappeared. "They were so alike, he and my father." Aaron found she couldn't agree fully. Boromir had been like his father in the beginning but when the time came he gave up the Ring.

"Proud." Faramir went on to explain. "Stubborn even. But strong."

"I think you have a strength of a different kind. And one day your father will see it." Faramir nodded.

Then, still as if Aaron wasn't there, they both left. She stared after them, wondering how she was so invisible dressed in black while sitting in a white hallway.

Huffing in annoyance, she stood up and made way to the outside court yard. On the way she passed an archway into the throne room, and once again she stopped when she heard Denethor say:

"Is there a captain here who is still has the courage to do his lord's will?" It was quiet for a long moment before Faramir answered;

"You wish now that our places had been exchanged, that I had died and Boromir had lived."

"Yes." Denethor answered. Aaron choked back a killing urge to kill the man. "I wish that." She growled, but held herself back from entering the room.

"Since you were robbed of Boromir, I will do what I can in his stead." Aaron didn't wait to see if anymore was said. She flew from her post with great speed and went to find the Wizard.

~~~~~~~~~>

Aaron slid to a stop in a deserted hallway. It was taking her forever to find the Wizard. If only she could shift. Well, she could. Should she?

Her mind was made up quickly and she shifted. She heart lept for joy as she stood upon four legs. Her bones felt stiff from being deprived of changing.

Immediately, her nose was to the ground and her feet were moving in the direction that the Wizard hopefully stood.

No one passed her was she was on her way, so hidding wasn't needed and any wasted time wasn't used. She quickly found Gandalf, shifted, and just as quickly related the news to him.

He shot up from his chair and grabbed his staff before heading out the door. Aaron, staying in human form, followed behind.

They walked at a fast pace to the main road, where women, child, and men too old to fight, all stood along the sidelines, and were dropping flowers onto the ground under the hooves of hundreds of horses. Faramir rode at the front and Gandalf made his way to him.

"Faramir!" He called twice, before he broke through the crowd and walked beside Faramir upon his steed. Aaron walked beside Gandalf.

"Your father's will has turned to madness." The Wizard continued. "Do not throw away your life so rashly."

"Where does my allegiance lie if not here?" Faramir asked. "This is the city of the Men of Numenor. I will gladly give my life to defend her beauty, her memory, her wisdom." Gandalf stopped walking.

"Your father loves you, Faramir." He called after him. Aaron remained silent. "He will remember it before the end."

The soldier rode out, none meant to be seen again.

'Home is behind

The world ahead

And there are many paths to tread

Through shadow

To the edge of night

Until the stars are all alight

Mist and shadow

Cloud and shade

All shall fade

All shall

Fade'