Chapter 16; Forsaken Hope

The Two Towers; Disc 1

Chapter 16; Forsaken Hope

~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~>

Aaron ran behind Aragorn in front of Legolas. Gimli was having trouble in the far back. Aragorn finally stopped and put his head to the ground. He was silent for a while and Aaron sat down to catch her breath. Legolas was looking over his shoulder at the Dwarf slowly coming up the hill.

"Their pace has quickened." Aragorn said lifting his head. "They must have caught our scent. Hurry!" Aaron stood up and started after him. Legolas looked back at Gimli.

"Come on, Gimli!"

"Three days and nights pursuit." Gimli said as he caught his breath. "No food. No rest. And no sign of our quarry, but what bare rock can tell."

Soon they came to a type of canon. Aaron's nose immediately caught the sent of Uraks. She didn't smell any Hobbits, and that worried her. Aragorn kneeled to the ground and picked something up. Legolas started to run by.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall." He said quietly.

"They may yet be alive." Legolas said as he turned around.

"Less than a day ahead of us. Come." They started forward again and Aaron ran ahead. Legolas turned back to see Gimli roll down the hill.

"Come, Gimli! We're gaining on them!"

"I'm wasted on cross-country. We Dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances."

They ran over hills, through seas of tall grass, and across running water. Finally they came to an area she really recognized: Rohan. Aragorn stopped on a hill over looking the beauty of Rohan.

"Rohan." Aragorn said. Legolas ran ahead a bit to an incline. "Home of the Horse-lords. There's something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures. Sets it's will against us. Legolas! What do your Elf-eyes see?" He called at the Elf standing farther off.

"The Uruks turn northeast. They are taking the Hobbits to Isengard." The Elf yelled back.

"Saruman." Aragorn said under his breath. Aaron flinched at the Wizard's name who tried to kill them.

They running day and night. Aaron got to see some of the most beautiful sunsets she had ever seen. She wished she could stop and let her human body soak it in, but her legs wouldn't let her and neither would Aragorn.

"Keep breathing." Gimli said to himself. "That's the key. Breathe."

"They run as if the very whips of their masters were behind them." Legolas stated. Aaron completely agreed. She was finally feeling the pain of running without food for long periods of time. The sun was rising once again. The sky was red with blood.

"A red sun rises. Blood has been slit this night." Legolas said. Aaron's head dropped at that.

Please don't be the Hobbits. She barked almost. Soon they came to a ridge. Aragorn stopped and looked at the tracks on the ground. Aaron's ears flicked to one side as she heard a horse neigh, and the sound of hundreds of hoofs hitting the hard ground. Her head snapped in the direction a growl escaping her chest as she showed her teeth. Aragorn ran to a boulder and motioned them to follow. Aaron ran to the rock and snarled at the horses as they pasted. Aragorn looked at her then Legolas. He then stood up and walked out.

"Riders of Rohan..." Aragorn yelled as the hunters came out of hiding. The horse made a large arc and turned back to them. "what news from the Mark?" The horses surrounded them and closed in as tight as they could before lowering their spears down at them. Aragorn raised his hands and looked at Aaron. She was calm strangely. Her mouth was still open showing her pointed teeth, but she didn't look ready to kill, more like defend. A horse-man rode up. His stead was grey with white spots and Aaron immediately commented the horse in a little snarl. The men took it as unfriendly but the horse lowered his head and gave a silent nicker as a thank you.