What if I Love You Too?

"What if the world turned to dust?" I said irritably and faced away from him, "Would you still love me then?"

I feel him place a hand on my shoulder. It sends waves of warmth and familiarity all throughout my body.

"Of course I would," He says lightly.

"What if I went insane? What if you don't feel the same love I do? What if I wasn't made for you? Honey, What if you aren't you?" I say. 

"What makes you say that?" He asks me.

I stand up and take a couple steps away from him. He didn't understand the way my head worked, I turned around to face him. 

"My head doesn't work the same way as yours does, I doubt everything and everyone in existence to a pulp, I am insane because of that fact, now that you know, I'll just go..." I say softly and start to walk across the grass and towards my house.

"Vera, wait, I still love you all the same," He says and runs up behind me, wrapping his hands around my waist and burying his head in my long, red, curly hair. 

"But I over think every single thing! I over think your love, and I over think what to do next and how to speak and how to dress, my life is over stressed, how could still love me...." I say in a choked voice while pulling his hands off my waist and starting to run from him.

I hear him running behind me, shouting for me to stop. I don't and run across the street right into traffic. I didn't see the truck coming, but luckily Rex came running behind me and pushed me out of the way. Does that mean he loves me or was he just trying to keep me safe? Are we even friends? Did the kiss he gave me mean anything? Why does my head do this to me......I run into the house, away from him unhappily.

Later that night, I heard some tapping on my window before I was about to get dressed for bed. I looked out my window and was surprised to see Rex there, his face careworn and sad. He must have climbed onto the gutters via the tree next to my window. I open the window and let him into my room. What is he doing here? Why is he here? Does he want something from me? Does he want to apologize? Why would he climb the tree and stand on the gutter for me?

"Vera, I know you say you are insane, I know you wouldn't want a date, but I still love you, we have been best friends for years and even though is saddens me that you didn't tell my about what's going on in your mind, I still love you, I love the way you look and how you always stick up for others, I love your personality, I love you, Vera," Rex says sheepishly, his face is red, blushing almost as furiously them I am, "I don't even care if you do overthink everything, but I don't want you to overthink our love, because Vera, I truly love you"

"What if I love you too?" I say sheepishly and look him in the eyes. 

"Then we make the perfect couple," He says lightly.

A single tear glides down my cheek and I smile.