wowza

Baron Von Steuben remember him omfg the revolutionary war shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

 this dude was in the prussian army but he got kicked out cuz they were like "hey stop being so homo" and he was like "fuck you i'll go join another army i dont need you guys"

he got hired by washington at valley forge and was huge help broskii

yo yo YO ur bois  alexander hamilham and nathanael greene helped our bro out because he didn't speak english but he knew frENCH they helped him draft a training program

  How did the men at Valley Forge become an ARMY? Steuben began with a "model company," a group of 100 chosen men and trained them...they in turn successively worked outward into each brigade. Steuben's eclectic personality greatly enhanced his mystique. He trained the soldiers, who at this point were greatly lacking in proper clothing themselves, in full military dress uniform, swearing and yelling at them up and down in German and French. When that was no longer successful, he recruited Captain Benjamin Walker, his French speaking aid to curse at them FOR HIM in English. His instructions and methods have a familiar ring, nor is this strange when we consider that much of what is done today stems from his teachings. To correct the existing policy of placing recruits in a unit before they had received training, Von Steuben introduced a system of progressive training, beginning with the school of the soldier, with and without arms, and going through the school of the regiment. Each company commander was made responsible for the training of new men, but actually instruction was done by selected sergeants, the best obtainable. 

basically he was like "eyy you guys are gonna look like a proper ary" and they got all dressed up and then he yelled at them but it didn't work so he hired someone to yell at them for him in english lmao how wild is that and yeah he made a pretty swingin army

i think he also had a really cute dog

he was really awesome man he was a big help with the revolution (why tf isn't he in hamilton?????)

  Another program developed by Steuben was camp sanitation. He established a standards of sanitation and camp layouts that would still be standard a century and a half later. There had previously been no set arrangement of tents and huts. Men relieved themselves where they wished and when an animal died, it was stripped of its meat and the rest was left to rot where it lay. Stueben laid out a plan to have rows for command, officers and enlisted men. Kitchens and latrines were on opposite sides of the camp, with latrines on the downhill side. There was the familiar arrangement of company and regimental streets. 

look at that he's teaching the filthy americans to not be slobs what a good boy

he became the official Inspector Generel is that even a thing (yes it is washington says so)

  The following winter (1779-1780) his commission was representing Washington to Congress regarding the reorganization of the army. He later traveled with Nathanael Greene-the new commander of the Southern campaign. He quartered in Virginia since the American supplies and soldiers would be provided to the army from there. He aided the campaign in the south during the spring of 1781, culminating in the delivery of 450 Virginia Continentals to Lafayette in June. He was forced to take sick leave, rejoining the army for the final campaign at yorktown. At Yorktown his role was as commander of one of the three divisions of Washington's troops. He gave assistance to Washington in demobilizing the army in 1783 as well as aiding in the defense plan of the new nation. He became an American citizen by act of Pennsylvania legislature in March 1784 (and later by the New York authorities in July 1786). He was discharged from the military with honor on March 24, 1784. 

again: why the FUCK isn't he mentioned at aLL IN HAMILTON??????

okay but seriously hamilton even helps him out with his financial shit and yet they don't talk about him at all what is up with that

he died a bachelor with like 21,000 acres in new york isnt that great what a great man

oh wait they did do a drunk history episode about hi that's aWESOME oh wait i remember watching that episode lol it was great