Chapter 32; Birthday

Bailey's POV

I wake up on the morning of my birthday feeling pretty average. I'm turning 16 and as an early present I find out my boyfriend isn't going to be here to celebrate with me. Daisy's birthday was three days ago, and Calum missed out on that too. We didn't even get to go to the airport with them this time and say goodbye, they had an early flight to LA. I've barely opened my eyes when my phone rings. I smile when I see it's Michael.

"Good morning, it's my birthday."

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR BAILEY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!" the boys shout in unison.

"Aw, thanks guys. You're the best! What time is it there?"

"5am. But that's okay, we wanted to say happy birthday!" says Ashton, and I hear him toot into one of those party blower things.

"Seriously? 5am? Wow. I have some cool friends."

"Yeah, we know, we're amazing. We'll leave you in peace to talk to Luke now. Bye, happy birthday!" says Calum, and they all yell happy birthday one last time before I hear the phone click off speaker and Luke speaks.

"You there? Happy birthday babe," he says.

"Thanks my love, how's LA?"

"Yeah, it's, uh... It's good. A bit boring, I guess. I just want to be at home."

"What are you talking about? You love LA! Jeez, your phone must be pretty good, there's no delay or anything. Usually on international calls it sucks," I say, amazed.

"Yeah, it's really good. Mike got a new phone, so that must be it."

"Huh. Well, thanks for calling. I miss you a lot. I'll talk to you later today maybe? I'm going out for lunch with Dais and we're going shopping. There's not much else to do, really."

"I'm sorry it's not the awesome birthday you wanted, but I'll see you soon, okay? I love you."

"Love you too. I'll talk to you soon. Bye,' I say sadly.

"Bye, babe." The phone clicks. I sigh and lay back down on my pillow.

***

After my family has bombarded me, fed me my favourite raspberry pancakes and banana smoothie in bed, and given me my presents - a new laptop, some clothes, perfume and some money - I get out of bed, shower and get ready for my lunch date with Daisy. I check my phone when I notice the time, and check my world clock out of habit, when I find something strange. It says that it's 11pm in LA. That's weird. Maybe my phone's playing up. I don't think anything of it and continue to rub fake tan into my legs. Eventually, I decide on all black - a black long sleeved top and high-waisted skater skirt, black thigh high socks, a black felt hat and my favourite maroon platform sneakers. I decide to walk to lunch - it's a nice day, and I could use the exercise. With my tiny tan bag slung over my shoulder, I slick on some cherry red lipstick and slide on my favourite cat eye sunglasses. As I walk, I grab a coffee and stick my headphones in. I'm playing Can You Feel My Heart by Bring Me The Horizon so loudly it hurts my ears a bit when I finally arrive at the restaurant - the same one we went to with the boys that first time we all went out for dinner. My heart sinks a little, but I smile and wave to Daisy, who is wearing a navy patterned dress and white Windsor Smith sandals, pulling out my earphones and sitting down across from her.

"Fancy seeing you here."

"I know, not like I was expecting you or anything. Happy birthday." She smiles and hands me a present, wrapped in pink paper.

"Aw, you didn't have to! Thankyou," I say, and do a little fist pump when I unwrap the leopard print shorts, The Neighbourhood T-shirt and pastel blue nail polish she got me. "How did you know I wanted these shorts?" I ask.