ikanaide ; qianru

stepping into the volleyball gym, qian expected oikawa to yell out her name with the suffix "chan" at the back as usual. when she didn't hear his voice, she began to look around the gym. only iwaizumi, matsukawa, hanamaki and a few others were present.

"yo!" she said, "where's oiks?"

hanamaki gave a shrug and said, "dunno. he's bound to turn up anyway."

she headed straight to the dark storeroom to hear sniffling noises. switching the light on, she was surprised to see the brunette hiding near the ball of volleyballs, crying.

"oikawa?" she said, staring straight at him.

"o-oh," he said, wiping his tears away and giving a smile, "h-hey, qian."

"what's wrong?" she asked, closing the door for privacy as she walked over to sit next to him.

"n-nothing," he said.

she looked at him in the eye, pulled him into a hug and said, "no, you're not."

he began to let out silent sobs as she drew circles on his back.

"hey, i'm here, it's okay," she said soothingly, "it's okay to tell me. let it all out."

taking a few deep breaths, he said inbetween sobs, "w-well, my g-girlfriend b-broke up with me because s-she thought i w-was too obsessed with v-volleyball!"

god, what a bitch his girlfriend is, qian thought, who breaks up with their boyfriend just because he loves volleyball?

"it's okay, there's bound to be someone out there who loves you," she said.

there was a comfortable silence between them, except for oikawa's occasional sniffling, before he broke it by saying, "ikanaide, onegai."

("ikanaide" on its own means "don't leave me", so "ikanaide onegai" means "please don't leave me")

"sure," she said, "i won't ever leave you. i promise."

word count: 255
date published: 290317