Aris Jones

I stare at the guy, blonde hair, relatively small for his build, green eyes and red cheeks. He seemed to stare back innocently, surprised by my clenched fists. He smiles, looking around him. 

"Hello, my name is Aris, Aris Jones." He says, his voice is higher pitched than I would have guessed. Something in the back of my mind reacts to the name like a memory desperately trying to claw it's way back to my thoughts. I push that aside. 

"Maybe you could start with explaining to me why you are in my best friend's bathroom?" I say I'm surprised by how calm my words are spoken like my body is numbed with curiosity.

"Oh, Teresa! Yes, that must look bad..." He trails off, mumbling to himself, or maybe he is speaking clearly but my ears are refusing to listen. How does he know her name? I don't even notice that Newt and Minho have joined us in the miniature room like my senses have been momentarily switched off. Something about the way he said that put me off guard, made me feel uneasy. Concern? Confusion? Jealousy?

"How do you know her name?" I ask, my voice still steady and calm, the only difference a colder tone. He smiles. 

"We're both the triggers. Did you think Wicked wouldn't tell me about my opposite?" He answers. It's weird though, his voice doesn't travel, it seems to circle me. That's when I notice his lips weren't moving. Did he just talk to me inside my head, I instinctively look for Newt, his eyes are narrowed. 

"Well? Are you going to answer his bloody question?" Newt spits. crossing his arms. It's true then, only I heard what he just said. My head almost tingles, he shouldn't be there, he doesn't belong in my head. It's the feeling when someone you don't like walks into your house so you try to politely get them to leave. 

"How the hell did you just do that?" I hear myself shouting. Minho and Newt stare, puzzled by the strange outburst. Aris frowns, did he really think I would be alright with him talking to me mentally?

"What the klunk are you on about?" Minho says, standing up and pacing the space between me and Aris. I sit down next to Newt. 

"He can do it too," I reply.

"Do what?" Newt asks. I bite down on my bottom lip, I hate having to admit my ability to talk in people's skulls. 

"He can talk to me, telepathically," I answer, my voice quiet and hollow. Minho sighs whilst Newt looks over at me, confused. 

"I think we need a gathering, get everyone in here Minho," Newt says, this might be the first time I have heard Newt shout before. Minho trudges out the room without another word, probably because he is too stunned to speak. 

"Did you drug her or something? Why did she let you hide in her bathroom?" I ask him in his head, It just didn't seem like a question you can say aloud, it's a sick thought. His face slackens from the other side of the room.

"Wicked did, and I don't know why."  He replies.

FLASHBACK 

Aris scratches his head and rubs his eyes, he touches his hand to the solid, cold ground. He wonders where his mattress went. The place is dark and crisp, definitely not the bedroom he fell asleep in. There was a thin strip of light penetrating the dark to his left. A half open door. He walks towards it, uneasy. He keeps a distance, just in case, looking inside he sees a girl, lying asleep in an awkward position. He knows it is Teresa, maybe it was a connection bound by the fact they were both guilty of letting grievers into their separate mazes. He knew. 

He walks into the room, getting a better look at his partner. She was pretty for what he could see, her hair covered most of her face, he brushes it away carefully. Intrigued to match a face with the girl he had heard plenty about. Her features were simple but align. She was beautiful. Her eyes flutter open, startling Aris. She murmurs something before squinting at the light. He could hardly catch what she said as she covered her face with her thin, pale arms. He was sure he had heard a name. Thomas. Another person he had heard plenty of. She focuses on the boy, taking in all his features, coming to the realisation it is not who she thought it was. 

"Sorry I woke you. I'm...Aris." He whispers frantically as her eyes go wide. She tilts her head in confusion. 

"Well hello there, Aris." She mumbles, her words mixing into one long mumble. There was something wrong with her speech, her attitude to the fact there was a strange boy in her presence. Aris had been told Teresa was well spoken, intelligent and reserved. All the trades failing her at this moment. 

"Are you alright?" He asks, concerned at her lack of understanding of the situation. She nods and tries to sit up, something deep inside Aris makes him disappointed that his first meeting with the girl he has so much in common with was this, he hoped this wasn't what she was actually like. He wondered whether Wicked had done something to her. 

Someone from outside shuts the door, alarming Aris, Teresa, on the other hand, doesn't seem to take any notice. He walks over and tries the handle, locked. He turns around, maybe he wasn't supposed to be in here, he didn't really want to be back in his old room, he felt safe here, with company. 

"I need somewhere to hide!" He hisses urgently to Teresa, she looks up at him before pointing to the bathroom. 

"You can hide in there, I'll knock if I need a poopoo." She says, her voice a little clearer. Aris laughs, something he hasn't done in ages. He obeys and sneaks into the small bathroom. He makes himself comfortable leaning against the sink with his legs outstretched. He shuts his eyes and lets sleep take him.