The glass III

Minho's POV

Everything seemed to slow down as Thomas was pushed back, I could hear screaming- I was probably one of those shouting for Thomas. No way was my best friend going to die. 

I looked over at where Thomas lay, there was blood on his right arm and face but other than that he seemed ok which was impossible because the propeller came straight into the berg, right towards Thomas. 

I noticed someone lying near the front of the berg opening, blood covering them so much they were unrecognisable, the figure gave away who it was, the slim but agile-athlete style. Atohi. Coming out of his shoulder was a chunk of the propeller, it was the size of a hockey stick. 

The doors were already close to closing, nobody spoke for a moment as minds quietly tried to process what had just happened, it seemed that for the second time, someone had risked their life for Thomas. 

Daniel and Teresa knelt over Atohi as the berg surged forward and away from the detonation, I knew that if we didn't move now, the storm would come in and we would all die. Daniel looked up at us and frowned, Atohi had been killed. 

Brenda crouched next to Thomas, who was half sitting up, startled by what had just happened. His eyes were blanked with confusion and pain. 

Thomas' POV 

I sat up and noticed a body covered in blood where I was standing being pushed. I had first thought it might have been Minho, Teresa or Newt but thankfully they seemed alright. My heart thumped out my chest as I looked around to see who was absent. 

Atohi. Someone else had risked their life for me, someone else had decided that my life was worth risking their own. I didn't understand, why am I worth saving? Images of Chuck flashed through my mind and brought a shooting pain to my chest at the thought of him jumping in front of me. 

I looked down at trembling, burnt, hands and realised they were mine. I couldn't move without hearing a buzzing in my ears. There is no pain like guilt, no sadness like remorse. I stood up and stumbled over to Atohi, a burning sensation in my chest beating harder and more painful with every step. 

"No...please no," I choked up, the floor came closer as my knees locked and collapsed. My brain was telling me that he was dead, instincts knew that nobody could have survived that, but when it's an ally, when it's a friend...There is always hope in your heart that they made it, that they're not dead. 

Teresa grabbed my arm, tried to balance me. Nothing was going to stop me now, nobody was going to break me from getting to the safe haven and getting me and the others out of this hell. Wicked has caused us all so much pain already, all that's going through my mind is that there is nothing left to lose. 

Brenda's POV

I went to the cockpit and looked out the window to see we were approaching the headquarters that harboured the safe haven entrance. The place seemed to have called themselves the 'III' which I'm pretty sure stood for 'International Immigration for Immunes'. 

The storm shook the berg as we started to land, my heart was racing, we had to land safely or we were all dead. 

Teresa's POV

Just as I was recovering from the sight of Atohi dying and the guilt that I'm relieved it wasn't Thomas. The berg scraped the ground as we landed on concrete, I knew we would have to move quickly or we wouldn't make it in time.