Second Watch

Daniel's POV

It was getting very dark by the time they had set up a pentagon shaped camp formation with a half mile radius around each, a bonfire was set up in the middle so if Wicked saw the fire, they would land in the middle which would give us a chance to clear out before they spotted the fabric formations that were so smartly disguised against the rough terrain. 

I had first watch at this base so I waited at the opening as the others piled in, Minho had Teresa woven in his arms as they went through. Thomas was the last one through, he looked at me skeptically, he may have accepted me as part of his 'family' but he still didn't trust me to keep watch as they slept. I took the easy approach and just smiled. 

As Thomas walked through, I followed him to see where I would sleep when someone else takes watch. The tent had a relatively high covering, the tent was in a square shape, around 2mX2m squared area, big enough to fit everyone. 

Along the back end was Teresa, who was carefully placed in the corner, Minho lay to the left of her, Newt (I think that was his name) lay in front of her- she was protectively encased into the corner. Aris lay in the middle of the room, with Winston and Frypan close by. There were a few others I hadn't been introduced to- who lay at the front. Thomas was standing at the entrance, looking at his campers. I decided just to leave them alone. 

The outside was cold, despite being in the desert, fortunately, the winds were helping the heat of the flames travel over to us. I tried not to look around because the darkness gave the dunes a creepy vibe since I couldn't see what was looming on the hills. 

I stared into the bonfire. I could hear the crackling from over here, I could also hear soft murmurs from inside the tent, I wanted to go in and talk as well because I could hear someone laughing quietly, I wanted to know what they were laughing about. 

I scooted more closely to the tent to hear that everyone seemed to be awake and alert. I could hear Thomas' voice quite closely, I listened closely. He seemed to be calming someone down. 

"It's alright! Look we're all here and we're safe now," he says softly, as everything goes quieter I was sure I could hear heavy breathing and some whimpering- it was a girls voice. 

Kevin's POV  

"So what do you expect us to do, Major? Just sit here and wait for the Right Arm to hack the satellite images?" I shout to the Major, who paces the makeshift infirmary. 

"You of all people should know we can't take all these kids across the scorch, Captain! If we can't send the team out to get us then we're going to have to lay low, for now, get to the city if we can," he replies angrily. I stand up, facing him. 

"We'll drive them to the city, man the borders if we can- slow down Wicked with the weaponry we have," I say slowly. The Major scratches his chin.

"And the kids?" I was hoping he wouldn't ask that. 

"We'll give them some supplies, direct them the right way and then they'll have to make their own way there, we need to secure the western point of the scorch from Wicked with all our forces if they are to get there alive," I say, the Major nods, like he understands the plan. 

"I agree, we'll need to move first thing in the morning if this is to work, it's the transition in 3 days, they won't wait for us," he answers grimly. I knew he was right, in three days it will be the transition day, which is one week before the half annual opening. The Right arm always sends a group of- Non infected and Immunised Individuals (N-FII) to Abu Dhabi where they will take the flat trans to the safe haven, the only problem is that the flat trans opens for 24 hours exactly for one day every six months- known as opening day. If we don't get these kids to the Right Arm in three days, they will miss transition day, so they'll miss opening day, which means we'll have to wait another six months, and with the problem increasing. We may not have six months to wait.