I'm sorry

A/N: I don't know if this song will be removed from youtube on copyright grounds so if it does, it's basically just the song 'I'm sorry' from the death cure soundtrack. I will have it written below when you should listen to it from the start as there is one specific part of this chapter that this song goes great with. Thanks, 

Teresa's POV

Teresa's POV

Never once had I looked at Thomas and thought, 'how am I supposed to get rid of him now?' Yet here I was, jogging beside him as the glass walls, floors and ceilings trembled with the pressure of the winds. I could hear Wicked all over the place. I kept my eyes peeled for the guards who tried to get Tom to the safe haven, I could really use their help right about now. 

I took a deep breath, "I wonder what it's like," I said absently. Thomas continued walking as if he hadn't heard me, he put an arm out in front of me before checking around the corner before clearing his throat. 

"What are you talking about?" he grumbled. I knew he knew exactly what I was talking about, I also knew he was trying his best not to cry which just made me feel worse. 

"The safe haven, dummy. I wonder what it's like," I continued, forcing the words out my throat like sharp knives. I noted the fact my throat stung when I took a breath, which wasn't really a good sign, and I couldn't breathe through my nose because well... if it miraculously wasn't broken, it was too damaged and blocked to breathe through. 

"Just...shut up, ok? Stop talking," Thomas snapped as he trudged ahead. I followed behind silently, I knew him well enough to just leave him be when he was upset. It was unsettling how quiet the corridors seemed to get, all I could hear was my ragged breathing, me and Thomas' footsteps and the wind. Every time Thomas turned a corner in front of me, I was scared he would be ambushed, as if Wicked were just around every corner. 

I thought about turning around and running back, but Thomas would just follow. I thought about silently creeping away without him noticing, but that would just make him look for me. I hated the fact he cared so much. I looked up at him, walking ahead on his own. His shoulders were slouched, his head leaning forward slightly. He looked like he'd given up, which was not like Thomas. 

I held onto my throat gently to try and ease the pain, "Thomas stop," I tried to say in my strongest voice. He spun around, his eyes alert. He looked like he was about to say something but then noticed there was no danger. Instead, he just stood, about 8 metres away, waiting. 

"What are we doing?" I sighed, looking at the floor, "you heard what the man said, everyone wants you in the safe haven, including me," I finished. I finally looked up to see that Thomas' eyes were wide with shock and hurt. 

"Don't... not now..." Thomas' voice broke. He started towards me slowly, as if he was approaching a bomb. I shook my head when he was only about a foot away. 

"Not now? Then when Thomas? Only one of us are going to be able to go to that haven, Tom. Let it be you," I whispered. Thomas took in a sharp breath and covered his face with his hands.