s e v e n

CHAPTER SEVEN( SURPRISE )

CHAPTER SEVEN
( SURPRISE )

     CARMEN GLANCES OUT the window. A new day had blossomed, and she found herself being picked up by Zach early in the morning. Carmen had wanted to sleep in for the day, seeing as it was her day. But to Carmen, her birthday was nothing but a usual day that didn't deserve recognition.

"What's wrong?" Zach asks from the drivers seat, taking a moment to scan her neutral expression.

"Nothing," She mutters in response, looking up to meet his gaze. "I'm just tired."

Deciding not to push her, Zach nods, and continues to drive with his eyes on the road. But not even driving could stop his brief looks at her.

Elle, who was in the backseat, didn't question her either, knowing exactly what she was thinking about.

Carmen lays her head back on the seat, fiddling with her fingers. She didn't lie to Zach- she was tired. But not because she stayed up too late, or got up too early in the morning. The dark bags under her eyes only meant one thing; her nightmares had come back.

The night that she stayed at the Why Don't We house, and slept in Zach's bed, she had no problems with waking up in the night. But last night, she had.

She had jolted awake by her own screams, before sobbing to herself. Of course her mother had gotten routinely prepared for the nightmares, so she had been there to comfort her daughter. But it wasn't enough to erase the memories.

Looking into the side view mirror, she flinches at her reflection. She was paler than usual, and her cheeks were even more flushed than what she considered natural.

Even though she hadn't applied any makeup, she looked as though she had. Carmen was thankful for that, as she didn't want to go through the trouble of waking up early, especially after her long night.

As the two finally arrived at the house, Zach was swift to hop out, and retrieve Carmen from the car. He opens the door for her, smiling slightly. She doesn't return the smile, as her attention was fully focused on the thoughts in her mind.

He walked alongside her, Elle following silently with a grin.

And upon entering the house, Aurora tackles Carmen with a hug, yelling, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CARAMEL!"

"Thanks, Aurora," Carmen laughs, her mood brightening as she enters the house. She turns her attention back to Zach, who's eyes light up at the sight of her happiness.

"Are you Elle?" Aurora asks, turning to the girl beside Carmen.

"Yep," Elle replies. "With that awesome entrance, I'm assuming you're Aurora."